Adult Education and Citizenship
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
Participation in thematic seminars with experts. Group Discussions.Texts analysis.
- To highlight the multidimensional nature of the concept of citizenship.
- To reflect upon the citizenship deficit observed in society in general, with particular relevance to the adult population.
- To analyze critically the negative impact on people's lives, both of civic illiteracy and cultural illiteracy.
- To discuss some of the major themes of citizenship, based on the analysis of instruments of national and international politics.
- To discuss some of the weaknesses of citizenship of the population, associated with specific categories of belonging of people.
- To reflect on how education and training of adults can contribute to the development of an active citizenship in a democratic society.
- To design adult education and training programs oriented to the debate of important issues of citizenship.
- To outline particular intervention strategies, in the context of an education for citizenship, for specific audiences in formal and non-formal contexts.
- Citizenship as a multidimensional/multidisciplinary concept
- Passive citizenship versus active citizenship
- Analysis of the document published by the Portuguese Committee: "Forum: Education for Citizenship" (2008).
- Some weak points of citizenship in adult populations: causes and consequences.
- Gender and citizenship: formal and non-formal contexts and individual implications across lifespan.
- Citizenship education in adult education and training: main features.
- National and international tools that promote an active democratic citizenship and that might be useful to adult education and training.
- Discussing specific issues related to citizenship with guest-experts from specific areas (seven to eight each semester)
20% (individual oral presentation of a topic in the context of citizenship): 20.0%
Synthesis work: 80.0%
Arthur,J.,Davis,I.& Hahn,C.(Eds.)(2008).The Sage Handbook of Education for Citizenship and Democracy.Los Angeles:Sage
Benn,R.(2005).Including citizenship in the adult curriculum.Paper presented at SCUTREA,30th Annual Conference,U. of Nottingham
Cardona,M. J.(Coord.), Nogueira,C.,Vieira,C. C.,Uva, M.& Tavares, T.-C.(2010).Guião de Educação Género e Cidadania–Educação Pré-escolar.Lisboa:Comissão para a Cidadania e Igualdade de Género
Cardona, M. J.(Coord.),Nogueira,C.,Vieira, Piscalho, I.,C.C.,Uva,M. & Tavares,T.-C.(2011).Guião de Educação Género e Cidadania–1º Ciclo do Ensino Básico.Lisboa: Comissão para a CIG
Comissão Europeia(2010).Relatório da Comissão ao Conselho,ao Parlamento Europeu,ao Comité Económico e Social Europeu e ao Comité das Regiões sobre a Igualdade entre Homens e Mulheres–2010.Bruxelas:CE
Ostrouch-Kamińska,J.,Fontanini,Ch.&Gaynard,S.(2012)(Eds.),Considering gender in adult learning and in academia:(in)visible act. Wrocław:WydawnictwoNaukoweDolnośląskiejSzkołyWyższe