Education, Municipalities and Local Development
2nd Cycle Studies - Mestrado
In this curricular unit, different teaching methods will be applied, with particular attention to the lecture method and the active method, thus being mobilised different strategies of teaching and learning. Hence, for framework and elucidation, the lecture method is articulated with the use of pedagogical practices based on the work of the students. Thus, there will be an encouragement to accomplish brief analyses of texts; write short overviews; elaborate questions about the content approached in classes; accomplish and present an asssignment of literature review on a subject to be agreed.
This u.c.main aim is to promote the substantiated reflection on the dimension and the ability to intervene locally in the field of education. The learning outcomes should be the following:
Define and characterise the field of educational action and its manifestation in formal, non-formal and informal fields
Define different concepts of development by situating them in time.
Characterise sustainable development and human development.
Define municipality from the perspective of Administration and Public Law.
Point out the main provisions laid down in the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic regarding municialities.
Identify and characterise different períods of the relationship between municipalities and education.
Appreciate different mechanisms and instruments of strategic planning in municipalities.
Characterise the competences of municipalities regarding education.
Reflect on the ability of municipalities to assume themselves as protagonists in Education in Portugal.
- Governing and Governance,
- The organization of local government in the perspective of Public Administration and the Law;
- Education, educational system and school system;
- Centralization and decentralization and administration of the educational system;
- Evolution of the concept of development;
- Sustainable development and Human Development;
- The course of municipal intervention in Education, in Portugal, up to the seventies;
- Municipalities and their intervention in Education in democratic Portugal;
- Organizations and instruments of strategic planning and organization of Education in the municipalities;
- Educational projects and local development;
- Associations and participative management in regional/local intervention;
- Local power and the diversity of interventions in education.
António Gomes Alves Ferreira
Mini Tests: 25.0%
Synthesis work: 25.0%
Assignment of literature review focusing a previously defined theme, including its presentation: 50.0%
Fernandes, A. S. (2005). Contextos da intervenção educativa local e a experiência dos municípios portugueses. In Formosinho, J. et al. (eds). Administração da Educação – Lógicas burocráticas e lógicas de mediação. Porto: Asa.
Ferreira, F. I. (2005). O Local em Educação-animação, gestão e parceria. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian.
Pinhal, J. (2012). Os municípios portugueses e a educação. Treze anos de intervenções (1991-2003). Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian e Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia.
Relatório do Desenvolvimento Humano (2013). A Ascensão do Sul: Progresso Humano num Mundo Diversificado. Publicado pelo Programa das Nações Unidas para o Desenvolvimento (PNUD). http://www.un.cv/files/HDR2013%20Report%20Portuguese.pdf
Ribeiro, A. (2007). Governância municipal. Cidadania e governação nas câmaras municipais portuguesas. Viana do Castelo: CER.
Villar, M. B. Caballo (2001). A Cidade Educadora de Organização e Intervenção Municipal. Lisboa: Instituto Piaget.