Mechanics II, Theory of Structures
Presentation of concepts and of some practical exercises illustrating the application of those concepts using audio-visual support. Autonomous problem solving in which the students work out exercises problems of theoretical and practical application with the guidance of the teacher. It is also foreseen the observation of laboratory tests of bars in tension and in bending.
The main purpose of the course is the theoretical development and application to practical situations of elastic vibrations and of analysis and seismic design of structures, with particular emphasis on steel and composite structures.
Part A - Structural Dynamics
Part B - Action Project Seismic and anti-seismic structures
Examples of application of Eurocode 8 Part 1 and National Annex.
Final exam - resolution of practical exercises: 25.0%
Final exam - theoretical part: 25.0%
Workout of assignments: 50.0%
- Rebelo, C. (2009) Dinâmica de Estruturas - Apontamentos
- Chopra, A.K. (2001) Dynamics of structures: Theory and applications to Earthquake Engineering. Prentice Hall, New Jersey 2nd edition.
- Clough R.W. and Penzien J. (1975) Dynamics of Structures. McGraw-Hill Inc.,New York.
- Sen T.K. (2009) Fundamentals of Seismic Loading on Structures, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester.
- Bathe, K.L. and Wilson, E.L. (1976) Numerical Methods in Finite Element Analysis. Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Smith, J.W. (1988) Vibration of Structures : Aplications in Civil Engineering design, Chapman and Hall.
- Craig, Roy R. (1981) Structural dynamics: An introduction to computer methods. John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- CEB (1991) Vibration problems in Structures,
- EUROCÓDIGO 8 - Estruturas em regiões sísmicas