Monetary and Financial Economics.
Theoretical-practical lectures based on expositive and interactive methods and through the use of audiovisual techniques. In these lectures students also carry out individual practical works and group discussion of problems in a real world framework. The theoretical-practical lectures are complemented with office hours for individual attendance.
This course aims to provide the students with an introductory framework for understanding and analyzing the behavior and importance of banking institutions.
- Capacity for analysis and synthesis.
- Problem formulation and solving.
- Capacity for learn.
- Critical and self-critical ability.
- Oral and written communication in Portuguese.
- Ability to recognize and evaluate the fundamental factors of the banking activity.
- Ability to recognize and evaluate the main risks of the banking sector.
- Capacity for understanding the national and international regulatory frameworks of the banking sector.
- Capacity for apprehending the basic characteristics of the Portuguese and European banking industry, and its contemporary challenges and trends.
1. Banking intermediation.
2. The importance of banking intermediation.
3. The theory of the banking firm
4. The interest rate transmission mechanism
5. Credit rationing
7. Banking management: balance sheet structure, performance and risks.
8. Bank regulation and supervision.
Fátima Teresa Castelo Assunção Sol Murta
2 tests, one in the middle of the semester and the other in its end : 100.0%
CASU, Barbara; GIRARDONE, Claudia; MOLYNEUX, Philip — Introduction to banking. Harlow : Prentice Hall/Financial Times, 2006. EUROPEAN CENTRAL BANK - EU Banking Structures [Em linha]. Frankfurt : ECB, 2010. [Consult. 19 Mar. 2013]. Disponível em WWW: <URL: http://www.ecb.int/pub/pdf/other/eubankingstructures201009en.pdf>
FREIXAS, Xavier ; ROCHET, Jean-Charles — Microeconomics of banking. Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, 1997.HANDBOOK of european financial markets and institutions. Ed. Xavier Freixas, Philip Hartmann, Coin Mayer. Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2008.MATTHEWS, Kent; THOMPSON, John — The Economics of banking. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons, 2008. MISHKIN, Frederic S. - Monnaie, banque et marchés financiers. 7e éd.. Paris : Pearson Education France, 2005 PORTUGAL. Banco de Portugal - Relatório de estabilidade financeira [Em linha]. Lisboa : Banco de Portugal, 2012. [Consult. 19 Mar. 2013]. Disponível em WWW: <URL: http://www.bportugal.pt/pt-PT/EstudosEconomicos/Publicacoes>