1st Cycle Studies
Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving, Mathematics Fundamentals
- Seminar lectures with theoretical exposure of materials and practice of concepts about the whole program
- Theoretical-practical classes with practice of CG concepts
- Laboratory classes with practice of programming concepts in processing
- Slides to support seminar lectures and knowledge synthesis (the basis for study)
- Miscellaneous bibliography (books and articles on the covered topics)
- Materials for the development of pedagogical assignments on CG using peorcessing
- Exercises on the fundamentals of CG
After completion of the curricular unit, students must demonstrate they have acquired, have understood and know how to apply the knowledge and skills in: i) computer graphics fundamentals; ii) image processing fundamentals and iii) integration of several concepts of CG into a CG projects of some complexity.
- Modeling, transformations, projections, rastering, visibility
- Topics of usability and its application to CG projects
- Digital image, in particular contrast and filtering techniques.
It is also intended that the student acquires/develops the following 5 core competencies (according to the Dublin descriptors):
- Analysis and synthesis, problem solving, critical thinking, independent learning and practical application of theoretical knowledge;
and the following 5 secondary competencies:
- Teamwork, creativity, initiative and entrepreneurial spirit, concern for quality and planning and acting skills.
1. Introduction to computer graphics
Pipeline rendering versus ray tracing techniques
Modeling of objects
2. Geometry 2D/3D
Transformations (rotation, translation ,… )
Visualization and Projection (parallel and perspective)
3. Color & illumination
Interaction models (Phong)
Shading (Gouraud e Phong)
4. Rastering and visibility
Low Pass filters and high pass filters
The theoretical concepts are implemented in practice using Processing.
Jorge Manuel Oliveira Henriques
Mini Tests: 25.0%
Casey Reas, Ben Fry
Processing: a programming handbook for Visual Designers and Artists
Processing: Creative coding and Computational Art
J. Foley, A. Van Dam, S. Feiner, J. Hughes, R. Philips
Introduction to Computer Graphics, Addison-Wesley.
D. Hearn, M. Baker
Computer Graphics, C Version, 2nd Edition, Prentice Hall
Apontamentos fornecidos pelo docente
Diversos artigos de referência para os codecs respectivos / Several articles of reference regarding the studied codecs