Audio-visuals and Media Production
1st Cycle Studies
Students enrolled in the course unit are expected to have attended, or have otherwise developed a skillset and a knowledge base comparable to the ones taught in the following course units: Multimédia, Comunicação Multimédia and Tipografia em Meios Digitais.
Theoretical-practical (TP) Classes and Practical (P) Classes. Lectures and group discussion during the theoretical-practical classes and individual project discussion during practical classes.
Digital Production strives to offer enrolled students the necessary resources and experience to understand new media, and to autonomously choose and employ the adequate tools and design strategies to develop multimedia and interactive products, both on- and off-line.
1. Introduction to Digital Production;
2. Learning to See – Light, shadow, colour, brightness and contrast;
3. The Digital Image – Digital image structure and attributes;
4. Digital Image Manipulation – Chromatic and spatial manipulation and geometric transforms;
5. Digital Compositing – Filter creation and manipulation, matte extraction and use;
6. Motion Literacy – Spatial and temporal considerations, coordination and temporal video manipulation;
7. Image, Video and Typography – Creation of visual value in new media. Visual, videographic and typographic considerations;
8. Animation – Stop motion, digital and generative animation
9. Digital Compositing and Production Interfaces;
10. Sequential composition – Continuity in time, space, graphics and narrative. Video editing;
11. Post-production for television;
12. Post-production for the Web.
Eduardo Miguel Morgado Nunes
Continuous evaluation: 20.0%
Murray, Janet H. — Inventing the Medium: Principles of Interaction Design as a Cultural Practice. The MIT Press, 2012
Brinkmann, Ron — The Art and Science of Digital Compositing, 2nd Ed. Morgan Kauffmann, 2008
Heller, Steven — Becoming a Digital Designer: A Guide to Careers in Web, Video, Broadcast, Game and Animation Design. Wiley, 2007
Krasner, Jon – Motion graphic design, applied history and aesthetics. Focal Press, 2008
Wright, Steve — Composing visual effects: essentials for the aspiring artist. Focal Press, 2008
Musburger, Robert B. — Introduction to media production: the path to digital media production. Focal Press, 2009
Curtis, Hillman — Hillman Curtis on Creating Short Films for the Web. New Riders, 2006
Block, Bruce — The Visual Story, Second Edition: Creating the Visual Structure of Film, TV and Digital Media. Focal Press, 2007