Audio-visuals and Media Production
1st Cycle Studies
- Competence in investigation a development
- Competence in teamwork
- Advanced creative habilities
- Competence in aplicating theory to practice
- Planning and managing
- Competence in writing and vocal ppresentation
- Competence in critical thinking
- Competence to comunicar with non specialists.
- Quality control
- Competence in Typography in digital and print media
- Theoretical and Practical lectures based on case studies.
- Articulation between theory and practice through practical exercises and continuous critique evaluations.
(there will be no differentiation between theoretical-practical and laboratorial lectures)
This curricular unit introduces and develops new concepts in editorial design practice. With a greater emphasis in contemporary design case studies and problem solving within reading and writing supports. Transition and interchange between print and digital media. Structural issues pertaining sustainability and ecodesign will be regarded as a socio-critical editorial theme, particularly aspects regarding new-media contexts in design practice.
1. Designing for society and specificity of design programmes
2. Post-digital design. The rise of digital artifacts and the unconsumated demise of print medium
3. A practical introduction to the founding principles of Eco Design, Inclusive Design, Viral Design and Crowdsourcing
4. Other design models such as Co-design, Participative Design, Iterative Design.
5. Design as Research: emergent methods in design research (Interviews, Essays, Open databases, comparative analysis, cultural probes)
6. Editorial Design and designwriting.
Nuno Miguel Cabral Carreira Coelho
Resolution Problems: 5.0%
Research work: 10.0%
Laboratory work or Field work: 10.0%
MANOVICH, Lev. “The Language of New Media” 2000, Ed. MIT Press.
DRUCKER, Johanna. “The Virtual Codex From Page Space to E-Space” URL: http://www.philobiblon.com/drucker/
ELI, Michael Ben. “Sustainability The Five Core Principles, a new framework” New York, 2006. URL: http://www.bfi.org/design-science/definitions-and-resources/five-core-principles
GATTER, Mark. Getting it right in print. Lawrence King, 2006.
MACLUHAN, Marshall. "The Laws of the Media. Macluhan Unbound". Ginko Press. 2005
PAPANEK, Victor. Design for The Real World. 1973, Bantam Books.
THACKARA, John. In the Bubble - Designing in a Complex World. 2005, MIT Press.