Design and Communication
Audio-visuals and Media Production
1st Cycle Studies
1. Core competencies:
- Competence in analysis and synthesis
- Skills in oral and written communication
- Competency in critical thinking
- Competence to apply theoretical knowledge in practice
2. Secondary competencies:
- Ability to solve problems
- Competence in group work
- Ability to communicate with people who are not experts in the field
- Concern for quality
- Competence to investigate
The method enhances cognitive learning by:
- Lectures supported by display cases;
- practical exercises;
- Linking theory and practice - theoretical knowledge through exercise.
In this course design is understood as a producer of images that represent the world around us. By exploring their abilities to think, write, draw, speak and project, students acquire the tools to solve problems and communicate solutions to visual communication.
1. The design process
2. Visual structure of verbal messages
3. The role of images in the communication
4. Interpretation of text and image
5. Assessment and reporting of project design
6. Practice: contexts and organization
Nuno Miguel Cabral Carreira Coelho
Continuous assessment (attendance and punctuality, class participation and commitment; formulating relevant questions, critical thinking and reasoning skills, progress throughout the semester).: 25.0%
Allen, Brooke (2007). This Mean This, This Means That – A User's Guide to Semiotics. London, Laurence King Publishing.
Lupton, Ellen & Phillips, Jennifer Cole (2009). Novos Fundamentos do Design. São Paulo, Cosac Naify.
Vossoughian, Nader (2011). Otto Neurath – The Language of the Global Polis. Rotterdam, NAi Publishers.
Annink, Ed (2010). Gerd Arntz – Graphic Designer. Rotterdam, 010 Publishers.
Kramper, Martin et al (2007). The World of Signs – Communication by Pictographs. Ludwigsburg, AVEdition.
Kuwayama, Yasaburo (1989). Trademarks & Symbols of the World – Volume Three – Pictogram & Sign Design. Tokyo, Kashiwashobo.
Shaughnessy, Adrian (2005). How to Be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul. London, Laurence King Publishing.
Shaughnessy, Adrian (2009). Graphic Design – A users guide. London, Laurence King Publishing.
Heller, Steven & Vienne, Veronique (2003). Citizen Designer: Perspectives on Design Responsability. Allworth Press
Klein, Naomi (1999). No Logo. Flamingo.