Master in Electrical and Computer Engineering
General Objectives of the CourseThe Master in Electrical and Computer Engineering is a course that is intended to be of high quality, guided by international standards, and which aims to:
- Transmitting knowledge and developing advanced skills in the fields of Electrical and Computer Engineering, in particular in the areas of Robotics, Control and Artificial Intelligence, Energy, Computers and Telecommunications;
- The training of professionals with a high level of technical, scientific and ethical qualification, capable of meeting the needs of modernizing the economy on a global scale.
- Provide solid training that enables those who wish to continue their studies in a 3rd cycle of studies and / or a career as researchers.
1. Applicants to a cycle of studies leading to a Master’s Degree may be:
a) holders of a Bachelor’s degree or a legally equivalent qualification in Electrical and Computer Engineering (or other Bachelor’s Degrees that, although having a different designation, have similar curricula), in Informatics Engineering, Electrical and Telecommunications Engineering, Computer and Telematics Engineering, Electronical and Telecommunications Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Management, Physics Engineering, Biomedical Engineering.
Furthermore, holders of Bachelor’s Degree or a legally equivalent qualification in other fields of Engineering and Exact Sciences may also apply, whose courses are organised in accordance with the Principles of the Bologna Process, but these applicants are subject to the completion of complementary curricular units.
b) holders of a foreign higher education degree, that was awarded after accomplishing a 1st cycle of studies, which should be structured according to the principles of the Bologna Process in an adhering country to this Process in the fields mentioned in subparagraph a);
c) holders of a foreign higher education degree that is recognised to meet the objectives of the Bachelor’s degree by the Scientific Council of the Faculty of Sciences and Technology (FCTUC);
d) In duly justified cases, the holders of a scientific or professional curriculum relevant to the attendance of this cycle of studies, which is recognised as such by the Scientific Council of the FCTUC, but these applicants are subject to the completion of complementary curricular units.
2. The recognition mentioned in subparagraphs b) to d) in no. 1 only has the effect of giving access to the cycle of studies leading to a Master’s Degree and does not award its holder the equivalence to, or the recognition of, a Bachelor’s Degree.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsThe holders of Master degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering have good receptivity in the labor market, from large to medium and small businesses. Employment opportunities are located in public and private companies in the areas of generation, transmission, distribution and management of electrical power, automation, robotics, mobile and fixed telecommunications operators, multimedia content distribution, electro-mechatronics systems, micro-systems, instrumentation, industrial maintenance, materials, design and auditing, information systems, simulation, network management, database management, analyst programmer, project software, computer systems, etc.., as well as in the areas of teaching and research.
Mode of StudyDaytime
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese/English
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingThe rules of evaluation and classification are those established by the academic regulations of the University of Coimbra.
That regulation allows the Organic Units of the UC to define specific Assessment regulations. The Faculty of Science and Technology of the UC has defined, after public discussion among peers, its Pedagogical Regulation, which regulates the examination, assessments and grading in the FCTUC.
According to this regulation, the final grade is an integer value in the range of 0 to 20 and the approval in a given curricular unit is obtained if the final grade is equal to or higher than 10.
Learning Objectives and Intended Skills- Reveal the capacity for analysis and design in terms of the application of knowledge, in order to show strong professional skills, namely in the key areas of “Industry 4.0”, “ Information and Communication Technologies ”and the “Knowledge Society ”.
- Demonstrate understanding and advanced knowledge in the area of specialty of the course capable of forming the basis for developments and or innovative applications of new products and services (for example in the field of artificial intelligence, intelligent electrical networks, new automated production systems, collaborative robotics, resilient networks, high-performance computer systems, etc.), including in the context of research in academia and industry.
- Ability to design and develop new solutions to solve efficiently (minimising resources) and effectively (maximising the impact of results) complex problems of interdisciplinary nature and/or involving large-scale and/or uncertain data and processes.
Lino José Forte Marques
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
António Paulo Mendes Breda Dias Coimbra
Recognition of Prior LearningRecognition of prior learning is carried out in accordance with the Academic Regulation of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDecree-Law No. 74/2006, of 24 March, in its current wording
The graduation is accomplished upon obtaining approval in all courses of the curricular plan, corresponding to 120 ECTS.
Access to Further StudiesBy attributing the Master degree, this study cycle allows the access to third cycle studies, according to the specific requirements established by each of these study cycles, namely to the Doctoral Program in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
2nd Cycle Studies - Continuity Master Programme
DGES Code: MB40
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 2 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 120.0
Category: Continuity second cycle
Call for Applications
- 1st Quarterial
Start date: 01-09-2022
End date: 30-11-2022
- 2nd Quarterial
Start date: 01-12-2022
End date: 28-02-2023
- 3rd Quarterial
Start date: 01-03-2023
End date: 31-05-2023
- 4th Quarterial
Start date: 01-06-2023
End date: 31-08-2023
- 1st Semester
Start date: 12-09-2022
End date: 17-12-2022
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 06-02-2023
End date: 20-05-2023
- 2020-07-31 a 2026-07-30