Bachelor's Degree in Engineering Physics
General Objectives of the CourseThe LEF degree aims at providing the student with a strong structural knowledge in structural areas like physics, mathematics and computation, and also in specific areas of Engineering Physics with the aim of allowing the continuity of further studies in the Engineering Physics area or in related areas.
At the end of LEF, the student should have:
- Basic knowledge in mathematics, computation and signal and system analysis and a strong formation in physics, both classic and modern, comprising an initial large band formation in the area of Engineering Physics. This will allow the student to proceed his/her advanced training in different specialization areas.
- Acquired the skills required for professional practice, like scientific aptitude and creativity, sense of responsibility and critical thinking, autonomous learning ability, teamwork skills, including in interdisciplinary teams and communication skills.
theoretical and laboratorial training that allows to begin professional practice in areas related to Engineering Physics.
National Call for Access and Entry to Higher Education (DGES):
07 Physics and Chemistry
19 Mathematics A
Application score: 100 points (0-200 scale)
Entry exams: 100 points (0-200 scale)
Secondary school average: 50%
Entry exams: 50%
Other forms of access (UC-applicants):
- Change of Institution / Course Pair Schemes;
- Special Access Call for over 23-years-olds;
- Special Access Call for Holders of Other Higher Education Courses;
- Special Call for International Students.
This information does not exempt the consultation of the webpage of the Directorate General of Higher Education (DGES) and/or of the Applicants website. Please, visit the DGES and the Applicants websites
Professional GoalsThe main professional opportunities are those of superior technicians in the area of Engineering Physics and related. Graduates in Engineering Physics are prepared to perform functions in the area of technology, such as the development and use of basic instrumentation, development of simple software and also to perform non specialized scientific and technical functions in sectors like Industry, Environment, Services, Research and Regulation.
Mode of StudyDaytime / Full-time / Face-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese/ English
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingThe evaluation and classification rules are those of the Pedagogical Regulation of the University of Coimbra, Regulation 321/2013, of August 23.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsSolid knowledge in Physics and the knowledge acquired in the engineering, computing and management subjects. Also, the ability to apply this knowledge in practical situations, the ability to learn and be creative and the ability to adapt to new situations. Organizational and planning skills and the capacity to manage different types of information are also considered important by employers and former students and are associated with Engineering Physics, as revealed in European studies of this area, namely the report from Agência Nacional de Evaluación de la Calidad y Acreditación (ANECA)1.
Filipa Isabel Gouveia de Melo Borges Belo Soares
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Rui Davide Martins Travasso
Recognition of Prior LearningRecognition of prior learning is carried out in accordance with the Academic Regulation of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDecree-Law No. 74/2006, of March 24, in the current wording
To obtain the 180 compulsory ECTS.
Access to Further StudiesThe Bachelor in Engineering Physics gives access to 2nd Cycle (Master Programs) in Engineering Physics and related areas.
1st Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 9113
Qualification Awarded: Licenciado
Duration: 3 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 180.0
Call for Applications
- Course/institution transfer
- Holders of Other Higher Education Degrees
- Over 23-year-olds
- Special Contest for International Students (Bachelor's Degree and Integrated Master's Degree Courses)
- 1st Quarterial
Start date: 01-09-2022
End date: 30-11-2022
- 2nd Quarterial
Start date: 01-12-2022
End date: 28-02-2023
- 3rd Quarterial
Start date: 01-03-2023
End date: 31-05-2023
- 4th Quarterial
Start date: 01-06-2023
End date: 31-08-2023
- 1st Semester
Start date: 12-09-2022
End date: 17-12-2022
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 06-02-2023
End date: 20-05-2023
- 2020-07-31 a 2026-07-31