Bachelor's Degree in Psychology
General Objectives of the Course- Provide theoretical training based on a set of fundamental skills, methods, techniques and cross-competencies in the
various subfields of Psychology;
- Promote reflection and critical analysis in Psychology and its related areas;
- Foster interdisciplinary knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary for the performance of professional functions that
require level 6 qualification.
- Provide a broad and integrative knowledge-based training scheme, helping to create more personalised paths and
promoting the active participation of students in their own training;
- Develop the requisite skills and conditions for a second-cycle degree in Psychology, mandatory for practising as a
- Foster training for second-cycle studies in other fields of knowledge, or other degrees more focused towards research
or lifelong training.
National Call for Access and Entry to Higher Education (DGES):
One of the following subjects:
02 Biology and Geology
17 Applied Mathematics Social Sciences
Application score: 100 points (0-200 scale)
Entry exams: 100 points (0-200 scale)
Secondary school average: 60%
Entry exams: 40%
Other forms of access (UC-applicants):
- Change of Institution / Course Pair Schemes;
- Special Access Call for over 23-years-olds;
- Special Access Call for Holders of Other Higher Education Courses;
- Special Call for International Students.
This information does not exempt the consultation of the webpage of the Directorate General of Higher Education (DGES) and/or of the Applicants website. Please, visit the DGES and the Applicants websites
Professional GoalsGraduates in Psychology receive training that gives them basic skills for integration in different areas under the supervision of a qualified psychologist, namely: Health Services (general and mental); Services related to Security and Social Solidarity; Services in the field of the Environment; Social reinsertion; Specialized Educational Support Services in Educational Institutions at different levels of education; Early Intervention Services; Special Education and Rehabilitation Institutions; Organizational Consultancy Offices and Central and Local Administration Bodies; Companies and other Organizations; Employment and Professional Training Institute; Investigation. It also confers the knowledge, skills and transversal attitudes necessary for the performance of professional functions that require level 6 qualification.
Mode of StudyDaytime
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)English or Portuguese
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingThe assessment is governed by the FPCEUC Assessment Standards approved at a meeting of the Pedagogical Council, which are available for consultation.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThe Psychology Degree has as main objective the student’s acquisition of skills in the area of research and
fundamental knowledge related to basic psychological processes, biological, sociocultural foundations and their
integration, as well as methodological and statistical foundations, psychological assessment and theoretical models
linked to human behavior. This training also aims to promote critical thinking and the ability to address research and
intervention problems in the field of psychology and related areas; written and oral communication skills; competences
in the area of information technologies; and the student's personal and socio-cultural development in a world marked
by diversity. The curricular structure also emphasizes the promotion of skills aimed at inter and transdisciplinarity.
Lisete Santos Mendes Mónico
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Lisete Santos Mendes Mónico
Recognition of Prior LearningThe University of Coimbra, through its organic teaching units, credits previous studies or professional experience, with a view to pursuing studies to obtain an academic degree or diploma, according to the legal regime defined by DL 74/2006, of 24 March, republished in DL 65/2018, of 16 August. This credit is granted under the Regulation of Previous Training and Professional Experience of the University of Coimbra, currently undergoing revision.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDecree-Law No. 74/2006, of March 24, in the current wording
The degree is granted to those who, by passing all course units that constitute the study cycle, have obtained 180 ECTS.
Access to Further StudiesBy granting the degree of licensee, this course allows access to second cycle studies, master degrees.
- Common core
- Bachelor's Degree in Psychology
- Areas of expertise
- Variant with Minor
1st Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 9219
Qualification Awarded: Bachelor's Degree
Duration: 3 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 180.0
Call for Applications
- Course/institution transfer
- Holders of Other Higher Education Degrees
- Over 23-year-olds
- Special Contest for International Students (Bachelor's Degree and Integrated Master's Degree Courses)
- 1st Semester
Start date: 11-09-2023
End date: 16-12-2023
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 05-02-2024
End date: 23-05-2024
- Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino Superior
- 2020-07-31 a 2026-07-31
- Direcção Geral de Ensino Superior
Nº Registo: R/A-Cr 27/2021