Master’s Degree in Economics
General Objectives of the CourseThe aim of the ME is to qualify its students to work as economists, either in business environments or in planning, regulation and administration. For this purpose, the ME offers general training in a variety of areas within economic and econometric analysis, in parallel with specialised training in financial economics, industrial economics, or economics of growth and structural policies, depending on the student’s option. Furthermore, it offers the choice of a range of optional course units in the area of economics and in more specific business management subjects. In addition to the consolidation of the 1st cycle subjects, the ME aims for students to develop:
a) their independent analytical capacity, through the preparation of an original project under the supervision of a teacher; or b) their ability to solve real problems in the work environment, in this case under the guidance of a teacher and of a supervisor appointed by the host institution.
1. They may apply for access to the cycle of studies leading to the master degree: a) Holders of the degree of licenciado, or its legal equivalent; b) Holders of a foreign higher academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies, organized according to the principles of the Bologna Process by a State adhering to this Process; c) Holders of a foreign higher academic degree that is recognized as meeting the objectives of the degree of licenciado by the scientific council responsible for the cycle of masters studies; d) In duly justified cases, candidates who present a scientific and / or professional school curriculum relevant to the frequency of this cycle of studies and who, as such, can be recognized by the scientific council responsible for the cycle of study. Masters studies. 2. The recognition referred to in sub-paragraphs b) to d) of paragraph 1 shall only have access to the study cycle leading to the degree of master and does not confer on its holder the equivalence to the degree of licenciado or the recognition of that degree degree.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsMaster's graduates in Economy have advanced qualifications to work in various fields, such as auditing and consulting, banking and insurance, planning and regulatory agencies, teaching and research, in central, regional and local public administration, and business corporations in general, both national and international.
Mode of StudyFull-time, Face-to-face and Daytime
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese and English
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingThe regulations of the University of Coimbra on 2nd cycles are applied here, particularly the UC Pedagogical Regulation and the FEUC General Standards and Assessment.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThe Masters in Economics aims to provide extensive scientific and technical training in the areas of economic analysis, providing students the opportunity to develop skills that allow them to:
a) Solve problems in new and unfamiliar situations, in broad multidisciplinary contexts, even if related to their area of study;
b) Address complex issues, devise solutions or make assessments in situations in which information is limited or incomplete;
c) Communicate their conclusions, knowledge, and underlying thought processes, both to experts and non-experts;
d) Demonstrate willingness to continue learning throughout their professional lives;
e) Carry out an independent research activity through a Work Project, or, if they choose to pursue an internship, develop and apply the skills mentioned in a) and b), as well as the skills mentioned in c) when preparing their Internship Report.
Adelino Manuel Guimarães Fortunato
Hélder Miguel Correia Virtuoso Sebastião
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Carmen Isabel de Oliveira Amado Mendes
Recognition of Prior LearningIt is possible the recognition of prior learning according to the Regulation of Crediting of previous training and work experience of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDL 74/2006, of 24 March, as amended by the DL 107/2008, of 25 June, by the DL 230/2009, of 14 September, and by the DL 115/2013, of 7 August
The master's degree is obtained after successful completion of all curricular units of the study plan (58 ECTS) and successful defense of the project work or of the traineeship report (32 ECTS).
Access to Further StudiesMaster's graduates in Economy are expected to develop the skills required for an application to a PhD programme.
- Specialization in Economics of European Integration
- Specialization in Economics of Governance and Institutions
- Specialization in Economics of Growth and Structural Policies
- Specialization in Financial Economics
- Specialization in Industrial Economics
2nd Cycle Studies - Continuity Master Programme
DGES Code: 9280
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 18 Month(s)
ECTS Credits: 90.0
Category: Continuity second cycle
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 1st Semester
Start date: 10-09-2018
End date: 20-12-2018
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 04-02-2019
End date: 30-05-2019
- 2015-03-23 a 2021-03-22