Master's in Data Science and Engineering
General Objectives of the CourseHigh complexity contexts will be taken into account, since it allows students to be in contact with the typical constraints of real scenarios. It will also allow the
students to be in contact with relevant technological components in the industry, preparing them for the pursuit of advanced studies and for the industry.
Thus, the Masters program ensures that students show the knowledge and understanding of the concepts, advanced principles, theories, methods and practices of DSE and are able to express them through an integrated set of instrumental, systemic and interpersonal skills. The high quality of the master was based on the
international patterns, in order to attain the two main goals of the Masters: (i) train engineers in data science for the global market that capable of designing
advanced and innovative solutions for systems based on data analysis; (ii) provide a solid training for students wishing to pursue a career in research.
1. Holders of a Bachelor’s degree or legal equivalent in: Data Science and Engineering, Computer Engineering, Informatics and Systems Engineering,
Communications and Telematics, Communication Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Electrical and Telecommunication
Engineering, Mathematics and Physics;
2. Holders of the Bachelor’s degree or legal equivalent in other areas of Engineering and Exact and Natural Sciences;
3. Holders of a foreign academic degree that is recognized by the Research Department of Computer Science to meet the objectives of a degree in the areas
mentioned in the previous paragraphs;
4. In justified cases, holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized to attest the capacity to complete this cycle of studies by the Scientific Committee of the Department of Computer Science.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Mode of StudyFace-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsObtain and demonstrate an in-depth knowledge and understanding of
- the advanced theories, methods and techniques/technologies of DSE and their use to tackle challenging and complex problems in interdisciplinary contexts
- of the potential for innovation and value creation in data science
Application of knowledge, understanding, judgment and communication
- Identification, design and development of solutions to problems using a wide range of methodological, computational, programming and software techniques
for the management, preparation, cleaning, integration, exploration, reduction, prospecting, modeling and visualization of data
- Communication with specialists and non-specialists
- Acquire fundamental knowledge, ability to learn new developments that allow the pursuit of advanced studies
- Critical and reflective thinking towards the technical, social, ethical and legal aspects of the possibilities and limitations of engineering and data science.
Paulo Fernando Pereira de Carvalho
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Paula Alexandra Gomes da Silva
Recognition of Prior LearningRecognition of prior learning is carried out in accordance with the Academic Regulation of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsArticle 3, DL no. 74/2006, March 24th, as written in the DL no. 65/2018, of August 16th
2nd Cycle Studies - Continuity Master Programme
DGES Code: MA58
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 2 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 120.0
Category: Continuity second cycle
Call for Applications
- 2020-07-31 a 2026-07-30