Bachelor's Degree in Sport Sciences
General Objectives of the CourseThe course seeks to respond to a set of social needs associated with the advanced training in the field of sports, in a broad understanding of this concept that involves the areas of application of Sports Training, Exercise and Health, Recreation and Leisure, as well as general educational training in Physical Education Sciences.
Oriented towards a solid deontological education, for the promotion of research, school management and lifelong learning skills, the course aims to:
• Provide a body of knowledge and skills necessary for professional recognition within the scope of sports training, physical exercise and physical education.
• Encourage the acquisition of updated scientific knowledge in sports sciences, which support lifelong learning.
• Develop a critical understanding of a values-based approach to study and research in the fields of sports training, physical exercise and physical education.
One of the following ingress exams: 02 – Biology and Geology; 16 – Mathematics; 18 – Portuguese. Students have to be also declared as apt in the C or H (with special needs) Group Pre-Requisites tests – Functional Fitness, Physic and Sportive.
This information does not exempt the consultation of the webpage of the Directorate General of Higher Education (DGES) and/or of the Applicants website. Please, visit the DGES and the Applicants websites
Professional GoalsProfessional practice as: a) sports coach in entities such as Clubs, Associations, Federations and Counties; b) instructor with exercise prescription functions in gyms; c) promoter of county sport programs; d) community cultural and sports equipment manager; e) manager and director of public and private leisure organizations, as well as sporting events; f) socio-sports and socio-cultural animator; g) promoter of physical fitness and health education programs.
Mode of StudyThe course is taught full time or part-to-face, classroom based and daytime
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThe student should be able to:
- Conceive, plan and conduct the sports training process aimed at young practitioners observing fundamental axiological and also training principles, in the perspective of medium and long-term sports performance.
- Conduct, monitor and assist the high-performance training process.
- Diagnose, prescribe and conduct exercise programs for healthy people and special groups, aiming to improve/maintain their physical condition and health status, through an assessment using current technologies.
- Design, prescribe and implement exercise programs in gyms or public projects to promote exercise and health.
- Analyse, program and promote educational practices oriented for physical exercise and sports promotion.
- Carry out safe, ethically and legally responsible professional practices.
- Leading multi-professional projects and teams oriented towards innovation, with technological domain and complex thought management.
Raul Agostinho Simões Martins
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Maria João Carvalheiro Campos
Recognition of Prior LearningThe recognition of prior learning is carried out according according to the Credits for Previous Learning and Work Experience Policy of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the decrees: Decree-Law nr 74/2006, 24th March, in its current wording
The course of study lasts for six semesters, corresponding to 180 ECTS.
Access to Further StudiesThe qualification gives access to further academic training, namely second cycle studies.
1st Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 9707
Qualification Awarded: Licenciado
Duration: 3 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 180.0
Call for Applications
- Course/institution transfer
- Holders of Other Higher Education Degrees
- Over 23-year-olds
- Special Contest for International Students (Bachelor's Degree and Integrated Master's Degree Courses)
- 2018-07-31 a 2024-07-30