Master Course in Urban Mobility Management
Entidade parceira: Universidade do Porto
General Objectives of the CourseThe proposed advanced master intends to create a training offer on urban mobility management, filling in a gap in the national offer. The proposed course is designed to provide knowledge in the specific fields of spatial and transport planning and integrated mobility management of urban areas, supported by the concepts of innovation and sustainability.
These themes are focused on Urban and Metropolitan problems, giving also attention to the inter-municipal mobility in areas of "low density" (at the scale of the Inter-municipal Communities).
The course aims at developing capabilities to solve real problems, using international reference models as well as the latest technical recommendations. It is intended to provide the students with a solid basic training and various additional skills in this area of expertise, giving them a competitive advantage for their integration in the national and international labour market.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Architecture, Geographic Engineering, Land Planning, or related fields. They can also apply for holders of a degree or equivalent with courses that require the discipline of Mathematics A as required in the application to Higher Education;
- Holders of a foreign academic degree associate to a 1st cycle of studies in an appropriate area (Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Architecture, Geographic Engineering, Land Planning, or related fields) organized according to the Bologna Process by a Country adhering to this process, or having an academic level recognized as meeting the objectives of a degree by the competent scientific body;
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized by the competent scientific body as attesting the capacity to accomplish the cycle of studies.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsIn this Master Course it is expected that the most students are already in the labour market, so their perspective is not to begin a new professional area, but mainly seeking advanced knowledge to improve their competitiveness in the specific area of expertise. Given the expected increase in the activity of transport system management, namely related with the recent needs of local authorities (City Councils and Inter-municipalities Communities - CIM) to develop their own Sustainable Transport Action Plans, it is hoped that the knowledge offered by this course will represent and investment in the workers qualifications in this field of expertise. This change of paradigm requires a higher technical qualification of workers from local authorities, transport operators companies, and public and private transport sector companies.
Mode of StudyDaytime, Full-time and Face-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingThe evaluation rules are defined for each curricular unit of the course according of the established rules of the two Universities. For each of them, the final grade will be defined in the range 0 to 20 points and approval will be obtained by reaching a final grade of at least 10 points.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsAt the end of this course it is intended that the students have developed skills to understand and operate the urban transport system, allowing them to:
- Recognize, identify and characterize malfunctioning problems of the transport system;
- Understand and estimate the impact that decisions at the regional planning level can have in the performance of the transport system operations;
- Analyse and propose a set of intervention strategies and techniques that improve the integrated operation of the transport systems;
- Concept, design, build and monitor different infrastructure elements;
- Propose and evaluate the performance of different alternatives to solve problems, integrating flow, safety and environmental issues;
- Promote teamwork with training and multidisciplinary valences;
- Develop scientific research abilities in the field of urban mobility.
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
João Carlos dos Santos Alves Vieira
Recognition of Prior LearningIf requested by the student, it will be evaluated the possibility of crediting the relevant prior learning (professional or academic), in the terms of the established rules of the two Universities, always maintaining the obligation to get a successful result in the mandatory unit of “Dissertation”.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe Master Degree is obtained according to Portuguese Law DL 74/2006, published in the official journal on 24th March, 2006, with the subsequent amendments
To obtain the Master degree, the student should obtain approval in all mandatory curricular units (12 curricular units) of the course (60 ECTS), and in the Dissertation (30 ECTS).
Access to Further StudiesBy attributing the Master Degree, this course allows access to third cycle studies, limited to the specific requirements and constrains established by each of those courses.
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
DGES Code: M996
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 3 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 90.0
Category: Advanced specialization second cycle
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 2017-11-22 a 2023-11-21