Master Course in Integrated Urban Rehabilitation
General Objectives of the CourseThe proposed master course intends to creat training supply in integrated urban rehabilitation, understood as a public policy aimed at correcting urban imbalances with structural and disruptive effects, envisaging a sustainable development. Thus, the curricular structure is based on the combination of multiple knowledge, with an interdisciplinary perspective, on Urbanism, Architecture, Economics, Sociology, Law, Geography and History, to create a training offer that endows the student with advanced theoretical and technical knowledge:
- to assess urban development trends, identifying the current characteristics of communities and future requirements, defined prospectively, to promote a sustainable development;
- that stimulate the exercise of active citizenship by participating in multicultural and multidisciplinary debate on the implementation of public policies and urban development;
- to strengthen the institutional capacity of local public and private entities in the field of spatial planning and sustainable urban development.
It is a minimum condition of entry, to hold a course of first cycle (bachelor), or equivalent, Architecture, Geography, History of Art, Civil Engineering, Sociology, Law, Economics, Public-Private Management or Administration, or to hold a foreign academic degree recognized by the Scientific Committee of the Department of Architecture of the Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Coimbra as meeting the objectives of a degree in the areas mentioned above. Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized as attesting the capacity to accomplish this cycle of studies by the Scientific Committee Department of Architecture of the Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Coimbra, may also be admitted.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsThe master'degree in integrated urban rehabilitation is directed at various professionals involved in the complex process of management and urban transformation, providing a further deepening and improvement of the knowledge acquired in academic training and professional experience. Its interdisciplinarity give the profssionals advanced trained in integrated urban rehabilitation with the necessary professional skills to become key actors in territorial management system, working in the formulation, implementation, evaluation and dissemination of territorial policies, as well as in the development and management of planning projects or design practice. Provides a wide range of employment opportunities from the Central Government, Regional and Local, regional development agencies, real estate sector Companies, Consulting Area Business and Design of Development Scenarios, Architects, Civil Engineers, Landscape Architects, Designers, University education, Research.
Mode of StudyDaytime, Full-time and Face-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingThe assessment rules are defined for each curricular unit according to the Teaching Regulation of the University of Coimbra. In each, the final mark will be 0 to 20 and the student who obtains at least a rating of 10 is considered approved.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsWith the completition of the Master Course, students should have acquired knowledge and competences that will allow them to:
- evaluate critically the socio-economic and cultural characteristics of urban communities and urban development trends;
- understand in an integrated manner the cultural value of the physical support (urban and architectural heritage) and the socio-economic and cultural dynamics installed;
- participate in the planning, programming and management of the implementation of integrated urban rehabilitation processes;
- exercise active citizenship, participating in multicultural and multidisciplinary debates on the implementation of integrated urban rehabilitation processes, understood as a public policy directed to the correction of urban imbalances with structural effects, to promote a sustainable development.
Adelino Manuel dos Santos Gonçalves
Recognition of Prior LearningWhen requested by the student, the possibility of crediting relevant prior learnig (profesional or academic) will be assessed according to the Accreditation Rules of Previous Training and Work Experience of the University of Coimbra and subject to completion of the mandatory curricular units of Dissertation or Report.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe Master degree is obtained in accordance with Decree-Law No 74/2006, of 24 March, in its current wording
To obtain the Master's degree, the student must obtain approval in all mandatory curricular units of the course, totaling 42 ECTS and cumulatively approval in the optional curricular units, totaling 18 ECTS. Additionally must obtain approval in the Dissertation / Report (30 ECTS).
Access to Further StudiesThe Master degree conferred by this course allows access to third cycle studies, limited to the framework of conditions established by each doctoral program.
2nd Cycle Studies - Lifelong Learning Master Programme
DGES Code: M978
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 3 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 90.0
Category: Lifelong training second cycle
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 2017-08-02 a 2023-08-01