Biosatistics with SPSS
Entidade parceira: Universidade Aberta
General Objectives of the CourseProvide the trainee with an integrated program that articulates the acquisition of fundamental statistical concepts with the execution of procedures in SPSS software, illustrated with real examples. In particular:
• identify statistical methods best tailored to specific problems in the biomedical field;
• autonomously build databases in SPSS;
• select and use the SPSS Descriptive Statistics and Data Visualization commands;
• select and execute in SPSS some of the statistical tests most often used in biomedical data;
• perform a linear regression analysis in SPSS;
• be familiar with the basic principles of Survival Analysis and the use of SPSS in this context;
• interpret and critically analyze the results generated by SPSS;
• organize the results so that they can be properly disseminated to the target audience.
Candidates from undergraduate, master's or doctoral courses are preferred as well as other researchers whose academic, scientific or professional curriculum justifies the usefulness of this course to their training or activity. The motivation described in the application form is also relevant.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Mode of Studye-Learning
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingThe final assessment is performed in a scale of 0 to 20 and includes two components:
• continuous assessment (CA) of the participation in the course forums during the course activities.
• an Individual Final Work (TFI), of a practical nature.
The final classification (CF) of each trainee will be calculated by the formula CF = 0.3 * AC + 0.7 * TFI.
Course participants who earn a minimum of 10 points are considered to be successful.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsAt the end of the course, trainees should be able to:
- Autonomously build databases in SPSS;
- Select and use the SPSS commands that allow performing Descriptive Statistics analysis and Data visualization;
- Select and execute SPSS Inferential Statistics methods and Survival Analysis (introduction);
- Interpret the outputs generated by SPSS for each of the statistical techniques;
- Choose the appropriate methods for new problems and novel data in the Biomedical area, using SPSS to perform the data treatment.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsRegulation No 339/2012 - Regulation of creation and functioning of non-degree courses at the University of Coimbra
Non Degree Course
Qualification Awarded: Diploma/Certificate
Duration: 52 HORAS
ECTS Credits: 2.0