Masters in Informatics Security
General Objectives of the CourseMSI aims at specialized training in Informatics Security (Cybersecurity). Giving response to a set of initiatives that have been developed at International and European level, targeting the development of knowledge competences in the field of Cybersecurity (e.g. US Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act, EU Directive for security across the Union) as a way to support the growth of the digital economy, preserving the privacy of citizens and to combat and prevent cybercrime and cyberterrorism, the MSI has the following objectives:
- Complement the training of students from 1st cycles, specializing in design, development, and evaluation skills related with Informatics Security.
- Upgrade and specialize the IT professionals, providing then with knowledge to perform functions in the field of Information Security, namely the role of Information Security Officer;
- Provide advanced training in the different areas of IT Security, allowing students to follow a doctoral program.
The MSI candidates will be accepted if one of the following requirments is verified:
1. Holders of a Bachelor’s degree or legal equivalent in: Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Communications and Multimedia, Informatics and Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Electrical and Telecommunication Engineering;
2. Holders of the Bachelor’s degree or legal equivalent in other areas of Engineering and Exact and Natural Sciences;
3. Holders of a foreign academic degree that is recognized by the Research Department of Computer Science to meet the objectives of a degree in the areas mentioned in the previous paragraphs;
4. In justified cases, holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized to attest the capacity to complete this cycle of studies by the Scientific Committee of the Department of Computer Science.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsThe MSI career opportunities will be mostly on large companies and multinationals, in the ICT, telecommunications, consulting, banking and services, in the European area, where the skills in the computer security area are increasingly needed, and there is a great shortage of professionals with specific expertise in this area.
Given the orientation of the MSI to the labor market, it is expected that a substantial part of the students will be already in the labor market, looking for a specialization that will allow them to reach other functions within the company.
It is also intended that students MSI integrate, within its Dissertation / Internship, research teams in order to participate in projects (particularly in European projects), thus, promoting scientific employment and the transition of students to the 3rd cycle studies.
Mode of StudyThe MSI classes will take place Thursday and Friday afternoon and Saturday morning
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingTwo moments of assessment by a jury of at least three teachers (one being the Advisor) are planned: the mid-term review at the end of one semester of
work, and the final evaluation at the end of two semesters.
The course of Dissertation / Internship will have two modes: normal mode, which begins in the first semester and will take a single school year; the multi-year modality that will start in the second semester and will take place two consecutive academic years.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsIt is expected that, upon completion of the Master in Informatics Security (MSI ) students will have the following knowledge, skills and competences:
- Thorough knowledge of the technological aspects, human and organizational and relevant in different areas of IT Security
- Design, development and evaluation skills of informatics security solutions;
- Ability to perform functions in the field of Information Security, in particular the various positions and career of Information Security Officer;
- Ability to integrate and lead research project teams in the field of Informatics Security and ability to conduct of autonomous research and development work and development of new knowledge in the field;
- Knowledge of legal, ethical and moral aspects, related to IT Security.
Paulo Alexandre Ferreira Simões
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
João Paulo da Silva Machado Garcia Vilela
Jorge Miguel Sá Silva
Recognition of Prior LearningDone in accordance with the regulations of the UC, requiring a solid background in Informatics, capable of guaranteeing ability to enroll this study cycle.Among the legislation in force, we point out the Regulamento de Creditação de Formação
Anterior e de Experiência Profissional da Universidade de Coimbra”
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDecree-Law no. 74/2006, March 24th, amended and republished by the Decree-Law no. 107/2008, June 25th, and the Ordinance no. 782/2009, July 23rd
The completion of the Master in Informatics Security depends on the approval of all the curricular units provided in the study plan and the completion and successful defense of a Dissertation /Internship.
The completion of the 60 ECTS corresponding to the 1st year of MSI gives the student a diploma of Specialization in Computer Security (CeSI).
Access to Further StudiesThe successful completion of the MSI will provide access to 3rd cycle courses, namely the Doctoral Program in Information Science and Technology ( PDCTI ) DEI / FCTUC by checking the specific access rules such study cycles.
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
DGES Code: 6955
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 2 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 120.0
Category: Advanced specialization second cycle
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 2017-04-05 a 2023-04-04