Master in Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering
Department of the Civil Engineering
Entidade parceira : Universidade do Portoopen website other courses
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
Advanced specialization second cycle
General Objectives of the CourseThe aim of the proposed course is to create an advanced training provision in Geotechnical specialisation for Civil Engineers, Geological Engineers and Mining Engineers, thereby addressing a training gap in the Portuguese market, where there are no advanced Masters courses in this area, and the major needs felt in Portuguese-speaking countries where there is great demand for geotechnical specialists.
Emerging as a project of excellence at the Bologna 2nd cycle level, the proposed course is aimed at imparting advanced knowledge in the specific domains of Geotechnics, so that students acquire a sound basic training and various skills in this area, together with a significant competitive edge, for those not yet working, in the domestic and the foreign labour markets, and for those already active, improved knowledge and enhanced competitiveness in their specific field of work.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsOn completion of the course, students should have acquired core theoretical knowledge enabling them to strengthen their ability to understand and analyse various types of geotechnical works, and to have developed skills for:
- Recognising, identifying and characterising natural rock masses concerned by the works;
- Defining intervention strategies and techniques enabling rock masses to be reinforced or improved, as needed;
- Designing, sizing and building various types of geotechnical works;
- Measuring, observing and interpreting the behaviour of rock masses and geotechnical structures;
- Evaluating and proposing solutions for environmental geotechnical problems, interacting with professionals from related areas;
- Evaluating the effectiveness of geotechnical solutions in the light of sustainability, lifecycle analysis and circular economy concepts;
- Developing the ability to investigate and research in the field of Geotechnics.
The following may apply to the Master’s degree:
• Holders of a degree or legal equivalent in Civil Engineering, Geological Engineering, Mining Engineering or similar area
• Holders of a foreign degree from a 1st stage study cycle in a suitable area (Civil Engineering, Geological Engineering, Mining Engineering or similar area), organised according to the Bologna Process by a State subscribing to this Process
• Holders of a foreign degree in a suitable area (Civil Engineering, Geological Engineering, Mining Engineering or similar area) which is recognised as meeting the aims of a degree by the legally competent scientific body
• Holders of a scientific or professional academic curriculum which is recognised as showing the ability to undertake this course by the legally competent scientific body.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
- Study Programme
1st SemesterStart date: 12-09-2016
Start date (first year): 19-09-2016
End date: 19-12-2016
2nd SemesterStart date: 06-02-2017
End date: 29-05-2017
Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino SuperiorPeríodo(s)
- 2016-07-27 a 2022-07-26
R/A-Cr 123/2016 - DGES
Direcção Geral de Ensino SuperiorPeríodo(s)