Master in Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering
Entidade parceira: Universidade do Porto
General Objectives of the CourseThe aim of the proposed course is to create an advanced training provision in Geotechnical specialisation for Civil Engineers, Geological Engineers and Mining Engineers, thereby addressing a training gap in the Portuguese market, where there are no advanced Masters courses in this area, and the major needs felt in Portuguese-speaking countries where there is great demand for geotechnical specialists.
Emerging as a project of excellence at the Bologna 2nd cycle level, the proposed course is aimed at imparting advanced knowledge in the specific domains of Geotechnics, so that students acquire a sound basic training and various skills in this area, together with a significant competitive edge, for those not yet working, in the domestic and the foreign labour markets, and for those already active, improved knowledge and enhanced competitiveness in their specific field of work.
The following may apply to the Master’s degree:
• Holders of a degree or legal equivalent in Civil Engineering, Geological Engineering, Mining Engineering or similar area
• Holders of a foreign degree from a 1st stage study cycle in a suitable area (Civil Engineering, Geological Engineering, Mining Engineering or similar area), organised according to the Bologna Process by a State subscribing to this Process
• Holders of a foreign degree in a suitable area (Civil Engineering, Geological Engineering, Mining Engineering or similar area) which is recognised as meeting the aims of a degree by the legally competent scientific body
• Holders of a scientific or professional academic curriculum which is recognised as showing the ability to undertake this course by the legally competent scientific body.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsIn this Master Course it is expected that the most students are already in the labour market, so their perspective is not that of a beginning a new professional area, but, mainly, seeking of advanced knowledge to improve their competitiveness in the specific area of expertise. In the remaining cases, it is important to note that after finishing the proposed MSc course successfully, students gain valences that will allow them an easier integration into the labor market in
areas related to Geotechnical Engineering.
Mode of StudyFull-time / Face-to-face / Daytime
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingThe evaluation rules are defined for each unit of the course. The final mark in every unit will be defined in the range 0 to 20; the lower mark to obtain the approval in each unit is 10.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsOn completion of the course, students should have acquired core theoretical knowledge enabling them to strengthen their ability to understand and analyse various types of geotechnical works, and to have developed skills for:
- Recognising, identifying and characterising natural rock masses concerned by the works;
- Defining intervention strategies and techniques enabling rock masses to be reinforced or improved, as needed;
- Designing, sizing and building various types of geotechnical works;
- Measuring, observing and interpreting the behaviour of rock masses and geotechnical structures;
- Evaluating and proposing solutions for environmental geotechnical problems, interacting with professionals from related areas;
- Evaluating the effectiveness of geotechnical solutions in the light of sustainability, lifecycle analysis and circular economy concepts;
- Developing the ability to investigate and research in the field of Geotechnics.
Paulo Miguel Cunha Matos Lopes Pinto
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
João Pedro Simões Cândido Martins
Recognition of Prior LearningRecognition of prior learning is carried out in accordance with the Academic Regulation of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe Master Degree is obtained according Portuguese Law DL 74/2006, published in the official journal 24th March, 2006, in its current wording
To obtain the Master degree, the student should obtain approval in all mandatory
curricular units of the course (30 ECTS), in the five of optional units (30 ECTS) and in the Dissertation (30 ECTS).
Access to Further StudiesBy attributing the Master Degree, this course allows access to third cycles studies, limited to the specific requirements established by each of these courses.
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
DGES Code: M934
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 3 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 90.0
Category: Advanced specialization second cycle
Call for Applications
- 1st Semester
Start date: 11-09-2023
End date: 16-12-2023
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 05-02-2024
End date: 23-05-2024
- 2022-07-31 a 2024-07-30