PhD in Civil Engineering
General Objectives of the CourseObjectives
This course of study aims to:
- Contribute to the training of researchers solidly prepared to promote scientific development.
- Compete to form more qualified human resources for three key sectors of the economy: construction, public works and transport. Given the importance that these sectors have for employment and income (increasingly through the exportation of services), it is essential that the productive activity carried out under the program becomes more evolved.
- Address the need for productive activity in this field.
The doctoral program in Civil Engineering integrates a PhD course with 60 ECTS and the writing of a doctoral thesis with the 120 ECTS.
There are six branches of study for progression:
Hydraulics, Water Resources and Environment
Planning, Transport and Roads.
Applications to the PhD Program are accepted from:
- MSc holders or holders of equivalent qualifications;
- Holders of BSc degree, with an academic or scientific curriculum that is recognized as attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies by the Scientific Committee of FCTUC, under proposal of the PhD Program Coordination.
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized as attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies by the Scientific Committee of FCTUC, under proposal of the PhD Program Coordination.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsResearch laboratories
Public institutions and companies both in Portugal and abroad.
Mode of StudyFull time attendance required
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Sérgio Manuel Rodrigues Lopes
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
João Carlos dos Santos Alves Vieira
Recognition of Prior LearningAccreditation of prior learning is possible based on previous learning certificates.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDecree-Law No. 74/2006 of March 24, reprinted in June 25, 2008 as amended by Decree-Law No. 107/2008, and pursuant to Decree Law No42/2005 of February 22, and Orders -B/2006 10543/2005 and 7287, respectively, of May 11 and March 31
Public defense of an original PhD thesis.
Access to Further StudiesNot Applicable
- Hydraulics, Water Resources and Environment
- Structural Mechanics
- Urbanism, Transports and Transportation Infrastructures
3rd Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 5130
Qualification Awarded: Doutor
Duration: 6 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 180.0
Annual Fee: 2750.0
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 1st Semester
Start date: 10-09-2018
End date: 20-12-2018
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 04-02-2019
End date: 30-05-2019
- 2013-09-26 a 2019-09-25