Joint European Master on Tribology of Surfaces and Interfaces
Entidades parceiras: Lulea Tekniska Universitet / Lulea University of Technology, Univerza v Ljubljani, University of Leeds
General Objectives of the CourseKey goal of this master is to provide to the students the high-level contemporary knowledge, required for the next generation of engineers to tackle highly-interdisciplinary tribology-related problems through an
interdisciplinary and complementary joint master programme about tribological surfaces, interfaces, lubricants, lubrication, as well as wear and friction mechanisms at nano and macro scale, and computational, modelling, analytical and experimental skills that are urgently needed in fields of transport, industry, medicine and energy. By joining the scientifically-leading and complementary groups of the consortium universities that also strongly cooperate with industry and other economic sectors into a coherent master programme is an outstanding opportunity for step-change in providing cutting-edge tribology knowledge for the needs of the most advanced and worldwide renowned industries.
The applications are submitted online on the webpage of the TRIBOS master (http://www.mastertribos.
eu/curriculum-and-master-projects). their evaluation is performed by representatives of the 4 universities
of the consortium. The admission requirements are the following: (i) a minimum of a bachelor degree
(equivalent of 180 ECTS) with an average grade of at least 80% (grade point average GPA) in engineering,
materials science, physical sciences or chemistry. (ii) proof of English knowledge will be required for students
from non-English speaking countries. Students from non-English speaking countries are required to have
obtained the IELTS certificate (with a minimum score of 6.5 and no part of the test below 6.0) or TOEFL
certificate with a minimum score of 92 points (internet based). A web interview can be conducted as a
complementary means to prove language proficiency.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Mode of StudyDaytime regime / Face-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese Language
Learning Objectives and Intended Skills- Understanding of the tribological contacts and systems, the inter-relation of parameters and ability to
determine key effects from nano- to macro-scale;
- Ability to develop theoretical and experimental routes to study and solve tribological problems;
- Ability to integrate multidisciplinary requirements into a coherent solution combining the knowledge from
different fields related to tribology;
- Ability to identify the problem, analyse possible solutions, propose the routes and write clear proposals to achieve the required goals;
- Acquaintance with the mechanical systems, materials and lubricants production processes, surface and oil analyses;
- Ability to work on and interpret the experimental techniques and results to solve tribological problems, such as tribometers, microscopes, spectroscopes, profilometers, etc.;
- Internships experience at the industrial environment to link the application-related studies with theoretical education backgrounds.
Bruno Miguel Quelhas de Sacadura Cabral Trindade
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe Master Degree is obtained according Portuguese Law DL 74/2006, published in the official journal 24th March, 2006.
- Common core
- Joint European Master on Tribology of Surfaces and Interfaces
- Areas of expertise
- Lubrication-oriented Tribological Topics
- Surface-oriented Tribological Topics
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
DGES Code: M857
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 2 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 120.0
Category: Advanced specialization second cycle
Call for Applications
- 1st Semester
Start date: 16-09-2019
End date: 21-12-2019
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 10-02-2020
End date: 30-05-2020
- 2020-07-31 a 2026-07-30