PhD in Communication Sciences
General Objectives of the Course• The main objective of the Doctorate in Communication Sciences is to train high level researchers who are fully competent for pursuing independent research in the main fields of communication, related to other associated disciplines such as the social sciences and the humanities.
• It also seeks to complete the study in Communication developed by the students of this area at the University of Coimbra, as well as candidates from other places.
• The programme is geared towards the research lines of faculty associated with the research Centers Seis20 and CIMJ and it welcomes students who want to develop research in the following areas of advice: Audiovisual Communication; Interactive media and cyberculture; Organizational Communication; Political Economy of Media; Journalism Studies; Feminist media studies; Ethics of Communication; Cultural Industries; Journalism and Literature; Narrative and Media; Media and History; Communication and Ethnic Minorities.
The following are eligible to apply for this study cycle: a) Holders of a master's degree, or its legal equivalent; b) Holders of a bachelor's degree, those who have an academic or professional resume of particular relevance that is recognized by the Academic Board of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities as attesting to the ability to complete this study cycle; c) those who have an academic or professional resume of particular relevance that is recognized by the Academic Board of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities as attesting to the ability to complete this study cycle
The recognition referred to in points b) and c) above only allow access to the study cycle leading to a PhD, and does not confer the equivalence of a bachelor's or master's degree, or the recognition of same.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsGraduates with a Ph.D. in Communication Sciences are well suited for careers as teachers and researchers as well as highly qualified jobs in management of communication and journalism, new media and mass media in general.
Mode of StudyFace-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese Language
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsAt the end of the programme students shall be able to:
• Display fluency in core scholarly literature, contemporary theory, and key debates in media, culture, and communication.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the range of research and methodological approaches relevant to the study of the field as well as mastery of one specific methodology for an original research.
• Acquire advanced specialist knowledge in several specific areas of study: Media Institutions and Politics, media culture, communication ethics, technology and society, audio-visual culture, critical theories of communication.
• Be fully competent to analyze and synthesize scholarship in a range of disciplines related to media, culture, and communication and understand the ways in which these disciplinary perspectives are integrated and transformed through interdisciplinary study.
• Write manuscripts of publishable quality for the peer reviewed literature.
• Produce original research on topics of media, culture, and communication.
Isabel Maria Ribeiro Ferin Cunha
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Sílvio Manuel Rodrigues Correia dos Santos
Recognition of Prior LearningAccording to the Credits for Previous Learning and Work Experience Policy of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the decrees: Decree-Law nr 74/2006, 24th March, in its current wording; Ordinance nr 782/2009, 23rd July
Achievement of the passing grade in a set of curricular units that amount to a total of 240 ECTS which also includes the public defense of an original dissertation.
Access to Further StudiesPost-doctoral research.
3rd Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 5115
Qualification Awarded: Doutor
Duration: 4 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 240.0
Annual Fee: 1425.0
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 1st Semester
Start date: 10-09-2018
End date: 20-12-2018
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 04-02-2019
End date: 30-05-2019
- 2015-05-19 a 2021-05-18