Master's Degree Tourism, Territory and Heritage
General Objectives of the Course- Continue to deepen and specialize the goals from the 1st cycle in this area.
- Provide theoretical, practical and methodological knowledge and skills in different areas of practice where the Leisure & Tourism, Geography and Heritage constitute the central themes.
- Respond to the expectations of bachelor's graduates who wish to pursue specialized studies and acquire skills that enable them to develop high research autonomy or the exercise of a specialized profession.
- Provide a connection of knowledge of the territory - both in the physical aspect and the human aspect, with tourist and leisure activities - interpreted in the light of good territorial and sectoral management practices - considered pillars of action able to offer training that makes all postgraduates of this program into agents of development.
Students who meet the following criteria may apply to this program: a) Hold a bachelor's degree in Tourism, Territory and Heritage, Geography, Sociology, Land Use Planning, Archaeology, European Studies, History, Modern Languages of the University of Coimbra or European universities; b) bachelor's degree in other areas and/or professional experience considered adequate.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsManager in Agencies and Departments that manage tourist activities; Companies Hotels and Restaurants; Travel Agencies; Tour Operators; Air, Sea and Land transportation companies, Management and Asset Valuation Associations; Tourist Content Production companies with a focus on culture and territory; Researcher; Professor of Higher Education, Upper Technical Management; Public Administration; Protected Areas and Management Agencies of Natural Areas of recognized tourist value; Tourism Adventure and Active Leisure; Museums; Interpreting Guide; Organization and Event Management.
Mode of StudyDaytime regime / Face-to-face
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Learning Objectives and Intended Skills- Acquire skills in applied research so that they can design and conduct research dedicated to Geography, Tourism & Leisure and Heritage;
- Consolidate scientific and cultural attitudes de rigeur, openness to innovation and change, capable of responding within the context of Territorial, Tourism and Heritage Studies;
- Be able to develop targeted research using appropriate tools and methodologies for the purposes of creation, innovation and territorial development;
- Apply knowledge and create processes to propose or find solutions, formulate, undertake or coordinate projects, national, European or similar, to develop and implement procedures;
- Be able to use different disciplinary methodologies in order to enhance group work and transdisciplinary interventions;
- Ability to work in an international environment, using appropriate scientific and operative terminology.
Norberto Nuno Pinto dos Santos
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Rui Ferreira de Figueiredo
Recognition of Prior LearningAccording to the Credits for Previous Learning and Work Experience Policy of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the decrees: Decree-Law nr 74/2006, 24th March, in its current wording; Ordinance nr 782/2009, 23rd July.
Successful completion of all program requirements, including the presentation and public defense of a thesis, a project or an internship report, obtaining a total of 120 ECTS.
Access to Further StudiesPhD degree studies.
2nd Cycle Studies - Continuity Master Programme
DGES Code: M845
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 2 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 120.0
Category: Continuity second cycle
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 1st Semester
Start date: 10-09-2018
End date: 20-12-2018
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 04-02-2019
End date: 30-05-2019
- 2015-07-16 a 2018-07-15