Master’s degree in Teaching History (7-12)
General Objectives of the CourseThe aim of the course is to train highly qualified teachers who are able to perform their teaching duties with scientific rigor and professional competence, and who have:
1) solid skills and knowledge in their subject, as well as in foundational areas of education and subject specific didactics, so that they are able to understand processes of teaching and learning and use appropriate methodologies and materials;
- the ability to apply knowledge and skills in their subject area to specific school settings, in accordance with pedagogical principles;
- an awareness of the social, ethical and civic dimension of teaching in general and their discipline in particular, and critical and self-reflective skills that enable them to act in an informed manner in school settings and in civil society;
- communicative competence in various relevant situations;
- an awareness of the changes that occur in their subject areas and in pedagogy and of the need for constant professional development in these areas.
1. According to Decree-Law 79/2014, applicants must meet the following requirements:
1a) Hold a bachelor's degree or one of the qualifications mentioned in paragraphs a) to c) of Art. 17.1 of Decree-Law 115/2013;
1b) Have earned, within that degree or other higher education degrees, a minimum of 120 credits in the area of History;
1c) Obtain a passing grade in an oral and written examination on Portugue language proficiency and logical argumentation.
2. Candidates who fulfill requirements 1a) and 1c) but not 1b) may apply if they have earned 75% of the necessary credits in History.
3. Candidates who fulfill requirements 1b) and 1c) but not 1a) may also apply if they have an academic or professional CV which is recognized as attesting to their ability to undertake this master’s program.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsStudents who complete the program obtain certification for teaching in elementary and secondary schools. At the end of the program, they will have acquired the competences needed for culture-related activities in public and private inter- and transcultural settings such as municipalities, cultural and civic associations.
Mode of StudyDaytime, full-time and face-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese Language
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Learning Objectives and Intended Skills- deepen and consolidate knowledge and skills in history acquired in bachelor degree, focusing on relevant topics on teaching;
- be able to apply their knowledge in planning and implementing substantiated classes in scientific, pedagogical and didactical terms with full awareness of the specifics of teaching-learning situations and groups of students, curriculum guidelines, procedures and appropriate materials, and other factors
- understand the social, ethical and civic impact of teaching;
- develop critical thinking and the ability to reflect in order to guide their teaching practice in ever new and complex situations;
- be able to communicate and participate within the school community
- recognize the need for ongoing scientific, pedagogical and didactic update and being able to carry out research on aspects of the teaching practice in order to improve it.
Ana Isabel Sacramento Sampaio Ribeiro
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Albano Augusto Figueiredo Rodrigues
Luís Manuel Duarte Antunes Figueiredo Trindade
Recognition of Prior LearningRecognition of prior learning is carried out in accordance with the Academic Regulation of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the following decree laws: 74/2006, of 24 March, altered by 107/2008, of 25 June, 115/2013, of 7 August, and 79/2014, of 14 May
The degree will be awarded to students who have earned the total number of credits, after having obtained approval in:
a) all courses defined for this MA program;
b) the public defense of the action-research report presented at the end of the 2nd year.
c) in the case referred to in numbers 5 and 6 of Art. 18 of Decree-Law 79/2014, the degree is awarded to those who meet all of the minimum entry requirements as well as the conditions specified in paragraphs a) and b).
Access to Further StudiesPhD degree studies.
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
DGES Code: M812
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 2 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 120.0
Category: Advanced specialization second cycle
Call for Applications
- 1st Semester
Start date: 20-09-2021
End date: 18-12-2021
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 07-02-2022
End date: 21-05-2022
- 2020-07-31 a 2026-07-30