Master’s degree in Teaching Geography (7-12)
General Objectives of the CourseTo form highly qualified teachers, able to perform teaching duties with scientific rigor and professional expertise, providing them with:
1) knowledge and expertise within their area of teaching, as well as a general educational and didactics background which will allow an understanding of the processes of teaching and learning, and the knowledge of methodological trends and educational materials
2) ability to transfer knowledge and skills from the area of teaching to specific school contexts, in accordance with didactic and pedagogical principles.
3) awareness of the social, ethical and civic dimension of the teaching function in general and of their particular discipline, critical thinking and ability to reflect which will enable them to intervene in an informed way in school and in society
4) communicative competence in various relevant situations
5) awareness of the changes in scientific, pedagogical and didactic areas and the need for ongoing professional development in these areas.
1. In accordance with Decree-Law 79/2014, candidates must meet all of the following conditions:
1 a) hold a bachelor degree or one of the qualifications listed in Decree-Law 115/2013, subparagraphs a) to c) of paragraph 17th;
b) in the above mentioned bachelor degree or in other cycle of studies of higher education, candidates must have completed 120 credits (ECTS) in the area of Geography.
c) pass an oral and written test, to assess the mastery of the Portuguese language and the capacity for logical and critical reasoning.
2 - Candidates fulfilling 1a) and 1c) requirements but not 1b), can also apply if they have obtained 75% of required credits in the areas of teaching.
3 - Can also apply who, fulfilling the requirements 1b) and 1c) but not 1a), holds an academic, scientific or professional curriculum which may be recognized as attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsTeaching (7-12), skills obtained in the course also enable developing activities in the areas of culture and heritage.
Mode of StudyDaytime, full-time and face-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese Language
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment comprises more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Learning Objectives and Intended Skills1) deepen and consolidate knowledge and skills in geography acquired in bachelor degree, focusing on topics on primary and high school curricula
2) be able to apply their knowledge in planning and implementing substantiated classes in scientific, pedagogical and didactical terms with full awareness of the specifics of teaching-learning situations and groups of students, curriculum guidelines, procedures and appropriate materials, and other factors
3) understand the social, ethical and civic impact of teaching and of their discipline, develop critical thinking and the ability to reflect in order to guide their teaching practice in ever new and complex situations as well as their intervention in the school context within and outside the classroom.
4) be able to communicate and participate within the school community
5) recognize the need for ongoing scientific, pedagogical and didactic update and being able to carry out research on aspects of the teaching practice in order to improve it.
Maria de Fátima Grilo Velez de Castro
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Albano Augusto Figueiredo Rodrigues
Isabel Maria Rodrigues de Paiva
Recognition of Prior LearningAccording to the Credits for Previous Learning and Work Experience Policy of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the decrees: Decree-Law nr 74/2006, 24th March, in its current wording; Ordinance nr 782/2009, 23rd July; Decree-Law nr 79/2014, 14th May
The Masters degree is awarded to candidates who obtain the number of credits set to the master's cycle of studies by:
a) obtaining approval in all course units of the curriculum of the master's degree cycle;
b) obtaining approval in the public defense of the course unit report on supervised teaching practice.
c) In the case referred to in numbers 5 and 6 of Art. 18 of Decree-Law 79/2014, the degree is awarded to those who meet all of the minimum entry requirements as well as the conditions specified in paragraphs a) and b).
Access to Further StudiesPhD degree studies.
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
DGES Code: M824
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 2 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 120.0
Category: Advanced specialization second cycle
Call for Applications
- 1st Semester
Start date: 16-09-2019
End date: 21-12-2019
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 10-02-2020
End date: 30-05-2020
- 2015-06-25 a 2021-06-24