Bachelor's Degree in Portuguese
General Objectives of the CourseThe central aim of the 1st cycle in Portuguese is to provide students with an interdisciplinary grounding in the area of the Humanities. Accordingly, students are expected to acquire the following:
- Comprehensive skills in speaking and writing in Portuguese.
- An increased awareness of the international dimension of the Portuguese language, literature and culture.
- An ability to establish connections between their field of specialization and other related fields.
- The ability to distinguish grounded knowledge from opinion or belief.
- Argumentation skills, intellectual autonomy and critical thinking skills.
- The ability to find information and to process it according to criteria of pertinence and relevance.
- The ability to use the knowledge and skills acquired in an innovative manner.
- An awareness of the cultural value of the Humanities and the competences associated with them.
One of the following exams: (15) Portuguese Literature or (18) Portuguese. Minimum Grades: Application Grade: 95 points; Admission exams: 95 points; Calculation Formula: High School average: 50%; Admission exams: 50%.
This information does not exempt the consultation of the webpage of the Directorate General of Higher Education (DGES) and/or of the Applicants website. Please, visit the DGES and the Applicants websites
Professional GoalsInitial Training for Teachers of Portuguese as a First Language and as a Foreign Language, Researcher, Proofreader, Copy Editor, Book Editor, Public Administration Official, Public Relations Officer, Consultant; other cultural and artistic areas involving experts in Portuguese language and culture, in Portugal or other countries. This program prepares individuals for positions that require skills in reasoning and argumentation, as well as the ability to analyze ideas, concepts and complex problems.
Mode of StudyFace-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese Language
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Learning Objectives and Intended Skillsa) High level language and communication skills:
- A deep understanding of the structure, functions, historical background and uses of the Portuguese language.
- The ability to identify, analyze and reflect critically on different types of discourses, and their rhetorical and literary codes.
- The ability to produce analytical and reflective texts, as well as to adapt the discourse to different communicative situations and media.
b) High level cultural and literary competence, particularly regarding cultural spheres in Portugal and Portuguese-speaking countries:
- Deep and up to date knowledge of the main sources of Portuguese culture and literature.
- Broad knowledge of Portuguese-speaking cultures, considering their geographical and historical diversity.
- Mastery of instruments for interpreting and analyzing literary texts, and ability to understand literary phenomena in their cultural context.
Ana Paula Oliveira Loureiro
Osvaldo Manuel Alves Pereira Silvestre
Recognition of Prior LearningAccording to the Credits for Previous Learning and Work Experience Policy of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the Decree-Law nr 74/2006, 24th March, in its current wording; and Ordinance nr 782/2009, 23rd July.
Achievement of the passing grade in a set of curricular units that amount to a total of 180 ECTS.
Access to Further StudiesSecond cycle of studies (Master’s degree).
1st Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 8393
Qualification Awarded: Licenciado
Duration: 6 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 180.0
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 2015-03-23 a 2021-03-22