Bachelor's Degree in Geography
General Objectives of the CourseThe Geography major integrates several subject fields (Social and Earth Sciences), which provides a broad area knowledge that addresses current problems at different levels. It occupies a crossroads where natural and social phenomena meet, and plays a key role in the interpretation, understanding and explanation of these phenomena. In this sense, the curriculum seeks to reflect the interdisciplinary nature of required geography based education targeted to the preparation of professionals capable of responding to decision making in the context of planning and land management.
The curriculum includes a group of classes, updated from an epistemological, conceptual and methodological perspective. A strong practical component is added to the more nuclear material, focused on the use of current techniques and methodologies, giving students an eclectic, pragmatic and dynamic area view.
National Call for Access and Entry to Higher Education (DGES):
One of the following subjects:
02 Biology and Geology
Application score: 95 points (0-200 scale)
Entry exams: 95 points (0-200 scale)
Secondary school average: 50%
Entry exams: 50%
Group D . Ability to See
Other forms of access (UC-applicants):
- Change of Institution / Course Pair Schemes;
- Special Access Call for over 23-years-olds;
- Special Access Call for Holders of Other Higher Education Courses;
- Special Call for International Students.
This information does not exempt the consultation of the webpage of the Directorate General of Higher Education (DGES) and/or of the Applicants website. Please, visit the DGES and the Applicants websites
Professional GoalsSenior Official in Public Administration, Senior Technician in Public Administration, Public Relations Professional, Territorial Management, Teaching, Researcher, Diplomacy, Consulting.
Mode of StudyThe working regime and the mode of study of the course is full-time, face-to-face and daytime.
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese Language.
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsDevelop knowledge regarding the spatial distribution of natural, social, economic, political and cultural phenomena and the territorialization of different players:
• build a solid and updated conceptual system in the areas of knowledge geographic
• understand realities/territorial contexts
• learn methodologies and techniques appropriate for different areas of geography as well as introductory academic research
• analyze processes and natural and social phenomena at different levels of space-time
• develop skills geared to integrated analysis within natural and social systems
• use of instruments for exploratory data analysis and support in cartography production
• apply appropriate methodologies to exploratory processes, phenomena and geographical contexts
• demonstrate critical skills in the analysis of territorial concepts, content, processes and dynamics
• design and implement land use and management tools.
Rui Ferreira de Figueiredo
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Luca António Dimuccio
Recognition of Prior LearningRecognition of prior learning is carried out in accordance with the Academic Regulation of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the Decree-Law nr 74/2006, 24th March, in its current wording; and Ordinance nr 782/2009, 23rd July.
Achievement of the passing grade in a set of curricular units that amount to a total of 180 ECTS.
Access to Further StudiesSecond cycle of studies (Master’s degree).
1st Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 9143
Qualification Awarded: Bachelor's Degree
Duration: 6 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 180.0
Call for Applications
- Course/institution transfer
- Holders of Other Higher Education Degrees
- Over 23-year-olds
- Special Contest for International Students (Bachelor's Degree and Integrated Master's Degree Courses)
- 1st Semester
Start date: 11-09-2023
End date: 16-12-2023
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 05-02-2024
End date: 23-05-2024
- Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino Superior
- 2022-07-31 a 2028-07-30
- Direcção Geral de Ensino Superior
Nº Registo: R/A-Cr 42/2015/AL01