Bachelor´s Degree in Information Science
General Objectives of the CourseThis study cycle has the following objectives for students:
- to learn the theoretical and methodological principles of selection, organization, representation, retrieval, access and preservation of information, in order to make it available and functional in a sustained way for different user profiles and scenarios; this requires an interdisciplinary approach that promotes dialogue between different fields;
- to understand the wealth, plurality and complexity of the current informational contexts and their relations, as well as the necessity of knowing how to function in an appropriate and flexible manner with distinct systems in a collaborative and interdisciplinary environment;
- to demonstrate proficiency in the use, assessment and application of techniques, norms and the tools for the selection, organization, preservation, access, dissemination and exchange of information.
One of the following exams: (06) Philosophy or (18) Portuguese or (17) Mathematics applied to Social Sciences. Minimum Grades: Application Grade: 95 points; Admission exams: 95 points; Calculation Formula: High School average: 60%; Admission exams: 40%.
This information does not exempt the consultation of the webpage of the Directorate General of Higher Education (DGES) and/or of the Applicants website. Please, visit the DGES and the Applicants websites
Professional GoalsLibrarian, Archivist, Documentation and Information Services Senior Technician, Researcher, Management Official in Public Administration and Companies. This program prepares students for a career that requires an ability for reasoning, discussion, analysis of ideas, concepts and complex problems.
Mode of StudyFace-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese Language
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned factors. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThe students in this study cycle should:
- have a critical understanding of the theory and methodology of Information Science;
- know how to identify various normative, conceptual and theoretical tools applicable to the processes of selection, organization, representation, dissemination and preservation of information;
- know how to apply different operative techniques that correspond to those normative tools;
- know how to identify problems and understand the importance of methodological approaches in designing solutions;
- develop fundamental writing and communication skills;
– develop or improve their ability to work individually and in team, demonstrating a high level of responsibility and ethical commitment.
The fulfillment of these objectives is measured using the assessment methods listed in the Evaluation Regulation of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities (FLUC).
Maria Beatriz Pinto de Sá Moscoso Marques
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Maria Beatriz Pinto de Sá Moscoso Marques
Recognition of Prior LearningAccording to the Credits for Previous Learning and Work Experience Policy of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the decrees: Decree-Law nr 74/2006, 24th March, in its current wording; Ordinance nr 782/2009, 23rd July.
Achievement of the passing grade in a set of curricular units that amount to a total of 180 ECTS.
Access to Further StudiesSecond cycle of studies (Master’s degree).
1st Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 9694
Qualification Awarded: Licenciado
Duration: 6 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 180.0
Call for Applications
- Course/institution transfer
- Holders of Other Higher Education Degrees
- International Student
- Over 23-year-olds
- 1st Semester
Start date: 16-09-2019
End date: 21-12-2019
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 10-02-2020
End date: 30-05-2020
- 2015-04-16 a 2021-04-15