Bachelor Degree in History
General Objectives of the Course1. To provide deontological, epistemological, theoretical-methodological and empirical training in History;
2. To ensure the benefits of interdisciplinary collaboration;
3. To highlight the potential arising from the combination of academic and real world knowledge;
4. To promote access to (post)graduate education and a proactive integration into the labor market.
One of the following exams: (06) Philosophy or (11) History or (18) Portuguese. Minimum Grades: Application Grade: 95 points; Admission exams: 95 points; Calculation Formula: High School average: 50%; Admission exams: 50%.
This information does not exempt the consultation of the webpage of the Directorate General of Higher Education (DGES) and/or of the Applicants website. Please, visit the DGES and the Applicants websites
Professional GoalsHistorian, Teacher, Museologist, Preservation and Restoration Specialist, Public Administration Official (at central, regional and local level), Management Official (NGOs, companies, socio-professional associations), Consultant. This program prepares individuals for positions that require skills in reasoning and argumentation, as well as the ability to analyze ideas, concepts and complex problems.
Mode of StudyFace-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
Learning Objectives and Intended Skills1. To understand the present critically, based on comprehensive and solid information about the past;
2. To understand and respect cultural diversity in its past and present manifestations;
3. To understand the cultural, social and technical aspects of material and immaterial heritage;
4. To be able to situate in time and evaluate the historical relevance of events, figures and communities, including general knowledge of available sources;
5. To be able to critically search for, analyze, use and communicate information produced in the past, and to participate actively in solving problems and making an in-depth analysis of historical issues in various temporal and spacial contexts;
6. To be able to convey ideas and information in an organized, clear and fluent manner, in both speaking and writing.
Maria do Rosário Barbosa Morujão
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Maria Margarida Sobral da Silva Neto
Recognition of Prior LearningAccording to the Credits for Previous Learning and Work Experience Policy of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the decrees: Decree-Law nr 74/2006, 24th March, in its current wording; Ordinance nr 782/2009, 23rd July.
Achievement of the passing grade in a set of curricular units that amount to a total of 180 ECTS.
Access to Further StudiesSecond cycle of studies (Master’s degree).
1st Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 9181
Qualification Awarded: Licenciado
Duration: 6 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 180.0
Call for Applications
- Course/institution transfer
- Holders of Other Higher Education Degrees
- International Student
- Over 23-year-olds
- 1st Semester
Start date: 16-09-2019
End date: 21-12-2019
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 10-02-2020
End date: 30-05-2020
- 2015-06-19 a 2021-07-18