Greek Language and Culture
Faculty of Arts and Humanitiesopen website other courses
Non Degree Course
General Objectives of the Course- Learn the basic structure of Greek language
- Provide the student with instruments and sources for an autonomous work
- Understand the origin of Western Culture
- Develop the language proficiency as expression of thought.
- Understand the differences between Greek and Portuguese concerning the language use and application
- Recognize the Greek contribution to neologisms creation in Portuguese: both in artistic and scientific domains
- Confirm the close lexical-semantic connection between Portuguese and Greek
- Underline the important elements of Greek culture in Portuguese contemporary art and literature
Learning Objectives and Intended Skills- General comprehension of Greek texts.
- Capacity to analyze the morfo-syntatic elements in a Greek sentence.
- Critical reflection concerning classical and humanistic values
- Rigourous and meticulous method for analysis and interpretation.
- Linguistic proficiency in Portuguese
- Autonomy in philological work with new texts
- Creation of conceptual structures in linguistic and ideological domains
- Problematization, mnemonic and heuristic capacities
Mode of StudyFace-to-Face
Applicants must be aged 16 years or over.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsRegulation n.º 339/2012, published in Official Gazette no. 152, 2. Grade, August 7th (Regulation of Creation and Operation of non-degree courses at the UC).
Examination Regulations, Assessment and Grading20/20: (media: 1test+1test) + 2 values (participation and presence)
As a rule, continuous assessment is the preferential regime to assess our students’ knowledge which requires 75% attendance and completion of two assessment tests. Other elements such as class participation, homework and tasks performed throughout the course, are also taken into account for evaluation. At the end of each level, students can request the corresponding certificate, if the course has been successfully completed.
- Study Programme
1st SemesterStart date: 15-09-2014
Start date (first year): 15-09-2014
End date: 20-12-2014
2nd SemesterStart date: 09-02-2015
End date: 02-06-2015