Teaching Writing Strategies to Compose Texts according to the Self-Regulated Strategy Development program by Steven Graham and Karem Harris
General Objectives of the CourseThis workshop which is guided by specialist from the Faculdade de Psicologia e de Ciências da Educação from Universidade de Coimbra is targeted to the Portuguese teachers who will be teaching three trainings programs about writing strategies for specific writing genres (e.g., persuasive writing, report writing, opinion essay writing), as well as general writing strategies like planning strategies, composing and revising strategies, in the academic year 2013-14. In addition, these teachers will be learning how to teach self-regulation strategies (e.g, goal setting, self-monitoring, self-instructions, and self-reinforcement) within the writing process.
From September 2013 the teachers will instruct, in the context of two PhD projects which are supported by the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, all 8th and 9th grades from six selected schools in Coimbra and its metropolitan area. These trainings programs about writing strategies instruction are adapted from the Self-Regulated Strategy Development program by Steven Graham and Karen Harris.
Participants and enrollment conditions:
Portuguese teachers of grades 8-9 for the academic year 2013-14;
Middle-grades Portuguese teachers;
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Mode of StudyFace-to-Face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingThe final marks of the participants will be expressed at a scale of 1 to 10, in doing so the decimal numbers have to be rounded to a position after the decimal point. These marks are quantitative, but not qualitative according to the executive-order number 3/2007 from September and the executive-order number 1/2008 from January as follows:
- Excellent – from 9 to 10 scores;
- very well – from 8 to 8,9;
- well – from 6,5 to 7,9;
- sufficient – from 5 to 6,4;
- insufficient – from 1 to 4,9.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsAt the end of this workshop the participants
• have acquired knowledge about the Self-Regulated Strategy Development program;
• have realized the significance of self-regulation within the learning processes;
• have extended their knowledge about writing strategies to compose texts;
• have developed their teaching skills about self-regulation and composing strategies;
• are able to use writing strategies for composing specific writing genres (e.g., persuasive writing, expository writing, opinion essay writing);
• are able to use self-regulation strategies in the classroom;
• are able to produce learning materials related to the workshop learning matter;
• are able to evaluate these materials in respect of its efficiency to the learning process;
• are able to reflect on their experiences in the classroom.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsRegulation n.º 339/2012, published in Official Gazette no. 152, 2. Grade, August 7th (Regulation of Creation and Operation of non-degree courses at the UC).
- Teaching Writing Strategies to Compose Texts according to the Self-Regulated Strategy Development program by Steven Graham and Karem Harris
Non Degree Course
Qualification Awarded: Diploma/Certificate
Duration: 54 HORAS
ECTS Credits: 2.0