Training Course in Pollution and Control of Gaseous Emissions
General Objectives of the Course• Sensitize the students to the impact of air pollution on ecosystems and human health;
• Analyze types of pollution and the main air pollutants;
• Examine ways of monitoring and measurement of gaseous pollutants;
• Information sources about the legal constraints applicable at industrial level;
• Provide basic concepts of meteorology, atmospheric stability and transport of pollutants;
• Provide the required tools dealing with theoretical concepts and calculation procedures for the selection and design of equipments directed to the treatment of industrial effluents;
• Discuss the importance of the integration of technologies to solve more complex problems.
Bachelor or Masters in Engineering (1st or 2nd cycle) and other professionals with a college degree in science with interest in the control of air pollution from industrial activities. For purposes of ranking, applicants must submit a curriculum vitae and letter of motivation.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Mode of StudyDistance e-learning
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingThe final grade is obtained from the weighted sum of ratings achieved in modules 1 to 4, considering the following scale: excellent (19-20 val.); very good (16-18 val.); good (14-15 val.); fair (10-13 val.) and fail.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsAt the end of the course, students should:
• Understand the need of air pollution control in industry and social context in order to ensure the protection of the human health and environment;
• Recognize the importance of monitoring air quality and know quantify emissions of pollutants through emission factors;
• Learn to apply and compare emissions with the legal limits;
• Learn to evaluate the effect of meteorological conditions on the dispersion of pollutants;
• Given a particular problem, students should be able to select and size equipments currently used in the industrial pollution control.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe qualification is framed by the regulation n.º 339/2012, of 7 August (Official Gazette, 2nd series).
The course is organized into 4 modules and with an overall duration of 60 hours (2 ECTS credits). The teaching method is based on e-learning systems, in which all topics will be available through the Moodle platform. Each module has a specific goal and evaluations are planned according to a predetermined schedule. The learning content should be sequential, with some flexibility and assuming that the student has an active attitude during the process of acquiring skills. Resources and / or bibliographic references will be available for each module, in order to promote a dynamic and interactive learning, and to perform the required tasks. The course must be achieved in a time period of 2.5 months. Initially there will be a training period for students to use the platform, and all the necessary technical support will be provided. In the end, an enquiry will be prepared to receive the input of trainees.
Non Degree Course
Qualification Awarded: Diploma/Certificate
Duration: 60 HORAS
ECTS Credits: 2.0