Master’s degree in Mathematics Teaching in the 3rd Cycle of Basic and Secondary Education
General Objectives of the CourseThe general objectives of this course are in accordance with the principles recommended by Decree Law nº 79/2014 of May 14, where is approved the legal system of professional qualification for teaching in pre-school and primary and secondary school within a larger perspective that is supported by the Vision of the University of Coimbra and its guidelines: research, teaching, knowledge transfer and resources.
a) Holders of the Bachelor’s degree or legal equivalent;
b) Holders of a foreign academic degree after completing 1st cycle of studies organized according
to the principles of the Bologna Process by a State acceding to this process,
c) Holders of a foreign academic degree that is recognized as meeting the objectives of the Bachelor’s degree by the Scientific Council of the Faculty of Science and Technology;
d) Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized by the Scientific Council of Faculty of Science and Technology as attesting the capacity to complete this cycle of studies. e) Written and oral Portuguese language test (a prerequisite, according to the Decree-Law 43/2007 of 22 February).
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsHolders of professional qualification for teaching as defined in Article 4 of Decree-Law No. 79/2014 of May 14.
Mode of StudyDaytime regime / Face-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese Language and English
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs defined in Pedagogical Regulation of the University of Coimbra - Regulation No 321/2013 of 23 August.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThe main objectives of the course are the following:
• Solid knowledge of the syllabus and curriculum guidelines of Mathematics of the primary and secondary schools, and correct methodologies of scientific and pedagogical point of view.
• Ability to use in pedagogical practice the knowledge acquired in the study areas, as well as those related to specific aspects of education, including lesson planning, preparation and development of teaching materials and resources in accordance with the prevailing models of education.
• Ability to adapt to different situations of learning and human development, both in terms of teaching students of different age levels and readiness for learning, including curricular changes, development of interdisciplinary projects, and others.
• Scientific knowledge of good practice in assessment and learning.
• Knowledge of school reality, including the legislative framework for the organization of schools, allowing cooperation with the governing bodies of schools and the school community.
Joana Maria da Silva Teles Correia
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Daniel Alexandre Peralta Marques Pinto
Recognition of Prior LearningUC Regulation for the Accreditation of Previous Training and Work Experience.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDecree-Law No. 79/2014 of May 14
Pre-service in a school and preparation and public defense of the report
Access to Further StudiesAccess to the courses of the 3rd cycle in the area of Mathematics, science teaching, history of sciences and education sciences.
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
DGES Code: 6451
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 4 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 120.0
Category: Advanced specialization second cycle
Call for Applications
- 1st Semester
Start date: 21-09-2020
End date: 18-12-2020
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 08-02-2021
End date: 21-05-2021
- 2015-07-23 a 2021-07-22