Master in teaching of Physics and Chemistry to the 3rd cycle of basic education and the secondary education level
Department of Physicsopen website other courses
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
Advanced specialization second cycle
Décio Ruivo Martins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Maria Isabel Silva Ferreira Lopes (email@example.com)
General Objectives of the CourseThe general goals of this study cycle:
- Are in the framework of professional qualification for physics and chemistry teaching in the 3rd cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education (3rd CEB & ES), intending that students develop knowledge, skills and competencies required for physics and chemistry teachers in the framework of the Education System Basic Law, educational policy general guidelines, pertinent programs, goals, and curriculum guidelines.
- Consider general and specific professional performance profiles of national education policy guidelines, curricula guidelines for 3rd CEB & ES, socio-economic conditions and emerging changes in society, in school and in the teacher roles, scientific and technological developments and relevant contributions of educational research, aiming at ensure learning required for physics and chemistry teachers and their professional development.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThe main objectives of the study cycle are the following:
• To build solid knowledge of physics and chemistry syllabus and curriculum guidelines for Basic and Secondary Education, and of correct and appropriate methodologies from scientific and pedagogical points of view.
• To use in pedagogical practice the knowledge acquired in the study areas, as well as those related to specific educational aspects, including lesson planning, preparation and development of teaching materials and didactic resources, according to existing teaching models.
• To encourage adapting teaching to varied situations of human learning and development, considering not only students of different age level, ability and willingness to learn, but also curricular changes and innovations, namely curricular changes, development of interdisciplinary projects, among others.
• To encourage good assessment and learning practices.
• To acquire knowledge about school realities, including the legislative framework of school organization, in order to stimulate cooperation with school governing bodies and with school community.
Mode of StudyDaytime regime / Face-to-face
Access to Further StudiesAccess to 3rd cycle of studies in physics, chemistry, science education, history of sciences and educational sciences.
Admission to this Master’s course is regulated by Decree-Law no. 43/2007, 22nd February 2007.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Recognition of Prior LearningThe recognition of prior learning is done according with the established in the “Regulamento de Creditação de Formação Anterior e de Experiência Profissional da UC”.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDecree-Law 79/2014 of May 14th
Professional GoalsHolders of professional qualification for teaching in accordance with the article 4 of Decree-Law 79/2014 of May 14th.
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingUnder the Pedagogical Regulation of the University of Coimbra: Regulation 321/2013 of August 23rd.
Public defense of a dissertation. Minimum of 50 ECTS in disciplines from Physics and in disciplines from Chemistry, with a cumulative minimum of 120 ECTS in both scientific areas.
- Study Programme
1st SemesterStart date: 10-09-2018
End date: 20-12-2018
2nd SemesterStart date: 04-02-2019
End date: 30-05-2019
Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino SuperiorPeríodo(s)
- 2015-07-23 a 2018-07-22
R/A-Ef 1572/2011 - DGES
Direcção Geral de Ensino SuperiorPeríodo(s)