Master in teaching of Physics and Chemistry to the 3rd cycle of basic education and the secondary education level
General Objectives of the CourseThe general goals of this study cycle:
- Are in the framework of professional qualification for physics and chemistry teaching in the 3rd cycle of Basic Education and in Secondary Education (3rd CEB & ES), intending that students develop knowledge, skills and competencies required for physics and chemistry teachers in the framework of the Education System Basic Law, educational policy general guidelines, pertinent programs, goals, and curriculum guidelines.
- Consider general and specific professional performance profiles of national education policy guidelines, curricula guidelines for 3rd CEB & ES, socio-economic conditions and emerging changes in society, in school and in the teacher roles, scientific and technological developments and relevant contributions of educational research, aiming at ensure learning required for physics and chemistry teachers and their professional development.
Admission to this Master’s course is regulated by Decree-Law no. 43/2007, 22nd February 2007.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsHolders of professional qualification for teaching in accordance with the article 4 of Decree-Law 79/2014 of May 14th.
Mode of StudyDaytime regime / Face-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese Language
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingUnder the Pedagogical Regulation of the University of Coimbra: Regulation 321/2013 of August 23rd.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThe main objectives of the study cycle are the following:
• To build solid knowledge of physics and chemistry syllabus and curriculum guidelines for Basic and Secondary Education, and of correct and appropriate methodologies from scientific and pedagogical points of view.
• To use in pedagogical practice the knowledge acquired in the study areas, as well as those related to specific educational aspects, including lesson planning, preparation and development of teaching materials and didactic resources, according to existing teaching models.
• To encourage adapting teaching to varied situations of human learning and development, considering not only students of different age level, ability and willingness to learn, but also curricular changes and innovations, namely curricular changes, development of interdisciplinary projects, among others.
• To encourage good assessment and learning practices.
• To acquire knowledge about school realities, including the legislative framework of school organization, in order to stimulate cooperation with school governing bodies and with school community.
Maria Miguéns Pereira
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Rui Davide Martins Travasso
Recognition of Prior LearningRecognition of prior learning is carried out in accordance with the Academic Regulation of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDecree-Law 79/2014 of May 14th
Public defense of a dissertation. Minimum of 50 ECTS in disciplines from Physics and in disciplines from Chemistry, with a cumulative minimum of 120 ECTS in both scientific areas.
Access to Further StudiesAccess to 3rd cycle of studies in physics, chemistry, science education, history of sciences and educational sciences.
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
DGES Code: 6452
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 4 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 120.0
Category: Advanced specialization second cycle
Call for Applications
- 1st Semester
Start date: 11-09-2023
End date: 16-12-2023
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 05-02-2024
End date: 23-05-2024
- 2023-01-21 a 2025-01-20