Geographic Information Technologies - GIT
Faculty of Arts and Humanitiesopen website other courses
2nd Cycle Studies - Advanced Specialisation Master Programme
Advanced specialization second cycle
José Paulo Elvas Duarte de Almeida (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Rui Ferreira de Figueiredo (email@example.com)
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Isabel Maria Rodrigues de Paiva (firstname.lastname@example.org)
General Objectives of the CourseThe core of the wide range of goals is:
- To articulate different scientific knowledges;
- To enable the design and implementation of methods of work in interdisciplinary teams compatible with the complexity of geographical phenomena;
- To fill the void at the level of higher education in specific GIT / GIS in Coimbra, regarding the absence of individualized curriculum frameworks in this area;
- To develop technologies and computer knowledge applied to the Environment and Land Planning;
- To develop technologies and computer skills related to Geographic Information Sciences;
- To highlight the importance of legal support, national and international, that regulate the flow of geographic information in digital platforms;
- To train professionals to be resilient, motivated and able to manage properly knowledge tools in order to enable them to face and overcome all kinds of real-life problems.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThe following competences were chosen to be considered as a fundamental matrix of capacities to develop in students:
- Acquisition and development of work skills in inter-disciplinary teams;
- Creation, integration and development of new methods of field survey and lab research;
- Development of computer knowledge and skills related to GIT;
- Acquisition of competences to enable the development of new hardware and software solutions related to GIT;
- Ability to collaborate in developing innovative solutions applicable to environmental management and land planning;
- Articulation between methods and techniques of environmental protection and land management;
- Domain and application of modern techniques concerning diffusion and communication of digital geospatial data;
- Ability to apply core principles of law which rule the circulation of digital geospatial data.
- Development of a culture of resilience, resistant to frustration and adversity.
Mode of StudyDaytime, Full-time, Face-to-face and After-Work Studies
In accordance with the portuguese law, Decree nº 107/2008, June 28, Article 17th, and with the academic statute in course at the University of Coimbra, can be admitted as candidates who holds:
a) A graduation degree or equivalent, in terms of portuguese law;
b) An academic degree obtained after the conclusion of a 1st cycle studies according to the principles of the Bologna Process, conferred by a country that joined the Process;
c) A foreign academic degree that is recognized by the GIT Scientific Council, as meeting the objectives of a graduation course;
d) A schoolar, scientific or professional curriculum to whom the GIT Scientific Council recognizes strong capacities and capabilities to complete this 2nd cycle studies.
(Note: The acceptance of the skills mentioned in items b) and d) only gives access to GIT 2nd cycle studies. It does not confer the equivalence to a graduation degree neither the recognition of that grade.)
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Recognition of Prior LearningAccording to the Credits for Previous Learning and Work Experience Policy of the University of Coimbra.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the decrees: Decree-Law no 74/2006, 24th March, in its current wording; Ordinance nº 782/2009, 23rd July.
Professional GoalsThere are several career opportunities, whether in public administration or in private institutions. For instance:
1. Integration in city halls and local, regional and national bodies related to Territory Planning, Environmental Management and Monitoring, Management of Resources and Assessment of Natural Risks, and Environmental Impacts.
2. Integration in public or private bodies and institutions that require professionals with competences in processing and management of GIS.
3. Integration in public or private higher education institutions as teachers or scientific investigators in GIS, with academic prospects.
4. Integration in public or private technology companies that provide Location Based Services (LBS) as well as GIS.
5. Integration in companies that provide services directly or indirectly related to GIS / TIG, in particular, Cartography and Cadastre, Environment, Planning and Spatial Planning, Geomarketing, Tourism, Real Estate Industry and Distribution, Localization and Optimization of Services and Transportation.
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingAs assessment is a pedagogical activity inseparable from the teaching process, its aim is to establish the students' competencies and knowledge, their critical sense, ability to recognize and resolve problems, as well as their written and oral presentation skills. Students may only register for exams for classes they are currently registered for under the terms of number 6 of article 4 of the University of Coimbra Pedagogical Policy. The following are examples of assessment items: Oral or written exams, written or practical work, individual and group projects that may require an oral defense, as well as class participation. Assessment for each class may include one or more of the above mentioned items. Grading is based on a scale of 0 to 20 and a grade of 10 is required to pass. Whenever assessment includes more than one item, the final grade is calculated by taking into account the relative weight of each item according to a formula published in the course outline under the terms of number 2 of article 7 of the UC Pedagogical Policy.
In order to obtain a Master degree in GIT-S or GIT-ELP, approval must be required from a minimum of five disciplines (including the Seminary), that comprise the thematic area or branch, in a total of 30 ECTS, plus the development and approval of the "Master thesis", "Scientific Project Work" or "Training Report", to which correspond 60 ECTS.
1st SemesterStart date: 11-09-2017
End date: 21-12-2017
2nd SemesterStart date: 05-02-2018
End date: 30-05-2018
Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino SuperiorPeríodo(s)
- 2017-09-20 a 2023-09-19
R/A-Cr 192/2011 - DGES
Direcção Geral de Ensino SuperiorPeríodo(s)