Specialization Course in People Management and Organisational Performance
General Objectives of the CourseThe course offers an in depth understanding of human resource management policies and practices and their impact on employee well-being and organisational performance. It employs a multidisciplinary approach to further understand and discuss the complexity of the social, economic and legal aspects encompassed by people management. Thus, the course has the following general aims:
- To provide a critical understanding of the body of academic knowledge relevant to human resource management and its application in practice;
- To equip students with the knowledge and skills required to enable them to enter and/or continue at a more competent level in the professional practice of human resource management.
Holders of bachelor degree or legal equivalent
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsThe holders of the diploma have advanced qualifications to exercise functions in human resources management, in public bodies, companies and associations, both at national and international level.
Mode of StudyFace-to-face
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese and English
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingThe provisions of the Coimbra University Regulation for courses that do not award degree are applied. Where appropriate, and with the necessary adaptations, the Teaching Activities Regulations and the General Rules for Assessments at Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra, are considered.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThe Course aims to develop the following competences:
- To enable students to organise and synthesise complex information from a variety of data sources;
- To develop the cognitive, critical and intellectual skills and professional competencies relevant to the practice of human resource management;
- To demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the role of the HR profession within an organisation and its relevance to the strategic objectives of the organisation as well as to the wider contextual environment in which it operates;
- To enable students to draw upon a conceptual framework that will sustain their understanding of the developments in both the theory and practice of human resource management, and their application, in order to improve organisational performance.
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Lina Paula David Coelho
Recognition of Prior LearningIt is possible the recognition of training received in Higher Education Institutions, domestic or foreign, provided that appropriate and consistent with the scientific content of the course. The academic records must be properly verified and may result in the assignment of the equivalence of some of the curricular units of the course.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe qualification is framed by the regulation n.º 339/2012, of 7 August (Official Gazette, 2nd series).
Successfully complete 60 ECTS, distributed between 48 ECTS in compulsory course units and 12 ECTS in optional course units.
Access to Further StudiesAccess to the preparation of a dissertation that will confer the degree of Master in Management is dependent on obtaining 60 ECTS in the first year, the approval in the Research Methodology course and from the approval of the Faculty of Economics Scientific Council.
Non Degree Course
DGES Code: 3738
Qualification Awarded: Diploma/Certificate
Duration: 1 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 60.0
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 1st Semester
Start date: 16-09-2013
End date: 21-12-2013
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 10-02-2014
End date: 31-05-2014