PhD Degree in Psychology
Faculty of Psychology and Education Sciencesopen website other courses
Study Plan in alteration process for 2017/2018.
3rd Cycle Studies
Joaquim Manuel Pires Valentim (firstname.lastname@example.org)
General Objectives of the CourseThe University of Coimbra (UC) has the following goals: the accomplishment of applied and fundamental investigation and its decurrently teaching, the exchange with similar national and international institutions and the adequate response to the lifelong learning need. The creation of the PhD in Psychology comes in a narrow association with these purposes of the UC, as well as with one of the main aims of the FPCE (OU), which is to promote the applied and fundamental research, in articulation with development and research institutions and units, in accordance with the internationally established quality patterns. Therefore, the PhD degree has the following main objectives: to promote scientific research and innovation, to allow the students to have a specialized training in the different areas of Psychology, to enhance their research skills and their integration in national and intern. networks, to promote the scientific employment and strengthen the connections with the working context in a lifelong learning perspective.
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsTo provide the students with the necessary skills to perform the autonomous
conduction of an original and innovative research project of a disciplinary, interdisciplinary or transdisciplinary nature.
- training in the autonomous management of the research project, mastering of the methodology and techniques, problem solving, mastering of scientific writing and the procedures associated with the dissemination of scientific articles with peer review, mastering the ethical processes associated with the scientific research in Psychology.
- communication skills with the scientific community and with society in general, using several supports;
- skills in mastering team work and in the building of research networks ;
- skills concerning human and financial resources management.
- career management skills.
Mode of StudyThe course is delivered in full time or part time attendance and daytime schedule.
Access to Further StudiesPossibility to access any level that requires a doctorate, namely access to post-doctoral studies.
1 – Application to the study cycle conducive to the title of doctor is open to those who:
a) Hold a master’s degree or legal equivalent;
b) Hold a licentiate degree, and possess a particularly relevant school or scientific curriculum that is acknowledged by the Scientific Council of the FPCE-UC as evidence of ability to undertake this study cycle;
c) Possess a school, scientific or professional curriculum that is acknowledged by the Scientific Council of the FPCE-UC as evidence of ability to undertake this study cycle.
2 – Acknowledgement mentioned in sections b) and c) of the previous item only allows access to the cycle of studies conducive to the title of doctor, and does not bestow on its holder an equivalence to the licentiate degree or master from the UC, or in any way acknowledge it.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Recognition of Prior LearningThe following provisions apply: Article 45 of Decree –Law nr. 74/2006, of 24 March, in the version created by DL nr. 107/2008, of 25 June.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the decrees: Decree-Law no. 74/2006, 24th March, amended and republished by the decree: DL no 107/2008, 25th June; Ordinance no. 782/2009, 23rd July.
Professional GoalsThe 3rd cycle of studies is an extension of the integrated study cycle in Psychology (Integrated Master), thus concluding specialised and highly differentiated higher education. It also enables students to participate in national and international research networks, and reinforces connections between professionals and their work contexts, through command of scientific competencies that contribute to the sustained progress of a knowledge-based society.
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingThe final classification is attributed by the doctoral jury in light of the merit of the thesis evaluated in the public defence and viva.
This 3rd cycle of studies includes study plans with and without a taught component. Accordingly, the FPCE-UC attributes the title of doctor to students who obtain 180 ECTS, which correspond to:
With taught component: passing all curricular units of the 1st year of the Curricular Plan of the Cycle of Studies, with a minimum quantitative classification of 14 and qualitative assessment of Good; producing and defending a thesis, with original scientific content and sufficient quality (after approval of the respective Project) in the chosen area (120 ECTS).
Without taught component: producing and publicly defending a thesis with original scientific content and sufficient quality (after approval of the respective Project) in the chosen area.
Modality without curricular units’ attendance: the elaboration and public defence of a thesis consisting of an original and quality content (after the project is approved) in the chosen field.
- Study Programme
- Specialty in Clinical Psychology - with taught component
- Specialty in Clinical Psychology - without taught component
- Specialty in Cognitive Psychology - with taught component
- Specialty in Cognitive Psychology - without taught component
- Specialty in Counseling - without taught component
- Specialty in Developmental Psychology - with taught component
- Specialty in Developmental Psychology - without taught component
- Specialty in Experimental Psychology - without taught component
- Specialty in Forensic Psychology - without taught component
- Specialty in Health Psychology - without taught component
- Specialty in Motivation and Personality Psychology - without taught component
- Specialty in Neuropsychology - with taught component
- Specialty in Neuropsychology - without taught component
- Specialty in Psychological Assessment - without taught component
- Specialty in Psychology of Education - with taught component
- Specialty in Psychology of Education - without taught component
- Specialty in Psychology of Organizations, Work and Human Resources - with taught component
- Specialty in Psychology of Organizations, Work and Human Resources - without taught component
- Specialty in Psychology of Sport - without taught component
- Specialty in Rehabilitation - without taught component
- Specialty in School and Professional Counseling - without taught component
- Specialty in Social Psychology - without taught component
- Specialty in Theory and History of Psychology - without taught component
1st SemesterStart date: 11-09-2017
End date: 21-12-2017
2nd SemesterStart date: 05-02-2018
End date: 30-05-2018
Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino SuperiorPeríodo(s)
- 2013-10-03 a 2019-10-02
R/A-Ef 3443/2011 - DGES
Direcção Geral de Ensino SuperiorPeríodo(s)