Phd in Landscape Architecture and Urban Ecology
Entidades parceiras: Universidade do Porto, Universidade de Lisboa
General Objectives of the CourseThe PhD in Landscape Architecture and Urban Ecology aims:
- A post-graduate education leading to the award of the degree of Doctor of "Landscape Architecture and Urban Ecology";
- The integration of the three universities in the sharing of teaching and research of the doctoral program, a rotation system in which the University is identified annually host;
- Contribute to the current state of discussion of theory and methods in Landscape Architecture;
- Deepening of strategic areas such as planning and urban ecology, landscape aesthetics, environmental psychology and sociology, the planning for recreation and other matters that constitute the domains of knowledge in Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning. It implies, therefore, capacity building and discussion of the relationship between art (drawing, design and critical) and science (biological processes, planning and management).
The access conditions are:
- Bachelor's degree in Landscape Architecture, Environmental Engineering, Geographical Engineering, Agricultural Sciences and Biology and related fields, obtained before the implementation of the Bologna Process.
- Degree of Master (second cycle higher education) in Landscape Architecture, Environmental Engineering, Geographical, Agricultural Sciences, Urban and Regional Planning, Environmental Engineering and Biology and related fields, obtained prior to the implementation of the Bologna Process as well as
- Another national or foreign qualification considered, in legal terms as equivalent.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional GoalsLand use planning and administration; Landscape Architecture professionals and lectures
Mode of StudyTaught full-time, presence required, during the day in working hours.
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese and English
Examination Regulations, Assessment and GradingGiven the fact that pedagogical assessment is inseparable from teaching, it is intended to ascertain competences and knowledge that students acquired, their critical thinking, their ability to point out and solve problems, as well as their written and oral expression. Students admitted to examination are those who are registered in the curricular units in the academic year in which the exams are carried out and, simultaneously, registered in those examinations, whenever this registration is necessary, in accordance with number 7, article 5 of the Pedagogical Regulation of the University of Coimbra.
The assessment elements are the following examples: written or oral exam, tests, written or practical assignments, as well as individual or group projects that may have to be orally defended and students’ participation in classes. Assessment of each curricular unit may include one or more of the mentioned assessment elements.
The mark obtained by each student in each curricular unit consists of a whole number between 0 and 20 points and students who obtain the minimum final mark of 10 points are successfully assessed.
Whenever assessment of a curricular unit comprises more than one assessment element, the final mark is calculated on the basis of the marks students obtained in each assessment element by means of a formula that is made public in accordance with number 1, article 8 of the Pedagogical Regulation of the University of Coimbra.
Paula Cristina de Oliveira Castro
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Armando Manuel de Castilho Rabaça Correia Cordeiro
Recognition of Prior LearningCan also apply to this PhD those who have science curriculum, academic and professional qualification attesting to the capacity for a doctoral degree, being the organ of the host University, identified each year, the decision on this assessment curriculum, in consultation with the Coordinating Committee of the PhD.
When the Coordinating Committee deems it necessary, may recommend to the candidates, in addition to their basic training, the frequency or approval of one or more courses, in addition to integrating the curriculum in the PhD.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsThe legal framework for the qualification is established by the decrees: Decree-Law no. 74/2006, 24th March, changed and republished by the decree: DL no. 107/2008, 25th June.
To obtain the required degree is the preparation and public defense of an original thesis.
Access to Further StudiesThe Ph.D. in Landscape Architecture and Urban Ecology provides access to Post – Doctoral studies
3rd Cycle Studies
DGES Code: 5632
Qualification Awarded: Doutor
Duration: 6 Semester(s)
ECTS Credits: 180.0
Annual Fee: 3000.0
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 1st Semester
Start date: 11-09-2017
End date: 21-12-2017
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 05-02-2018
End date: 30-05-2018
- 2016-11-15 a 2022-11-14