Masters in Social Education, Development and Dynamics Locals
General Objectives of the CourseThe main objectives of this Study Cycle are:
To ensure, predominantly, the acquisition of an academic or professional specialization in SEDLD with children, youth and families by students.
To deepen the understanding of the basic concepts currently applicable in the educational knowledge of Social Education (SE).
To provide students with the strategic tools for the coordination, management, planning, implementation and evaluation of projects and institutions in specific contexts of intervention of SE, with children, young people and families, in an integrated and integrating perspective.
To enable students for the procedural and critical analysis in research - action for innovation in contexts of SE, Social Development, specific to children, youth and families at a national, transnational and European level.
To raise students’ awareness of the ethical dimension when investigating and/or intervening in socioeducational contexts involving children, youth and families marked by vulnerability, marginalization and social exclusion.
The Master’s degree in Social Education, Development and Local Dynamics is structured in 4 semesters totalizing 120 ECTS distributed over 12 curricular units. The first year of the course plan is structured in 7 mandatory units, 3 optional curricular units.
The 2nd year includes the accomplishment of a research and the preparation of a dissertation or the accomplishment of a professional internship, and the preparation of a final report, being both written assignments, subject to presentation and public defense.
According to article no. 39 of Regulation no. 315, 29th August, the following candidates can apply to this study cycle, leading to a Master's degree:
- Holders of a Bachelor’s Degree in Educational Sciences or Education;
- Holders of a Bachelor’s Degree in other fields, that redirect their choices and aim to achieve the MSELDD degree;
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized as attesting the capacity to carry out this study cycle by the Scientific Council of the FPCEUC, namely Professionals who play roles in areas of social context; Education professionals
that integrate or intend to integrate teams responsible for the training of social educators;
Professionals responsible for the development, dynamics and social policies;
Professionals responsible for systems and socio-cultural structures; Researchers in the various sectors of social life; Professionals wishing to acquire a specific training in Social Pedagogy and Social Education.
Candidates should check the admission requirements available on this site, in addition to the information provided here.
Professional Goals- It allows ensuring the acquisition of an academic or professional specialization in Social Education, Local Development and Dynamics, with children, youth and families.
- To train professionals specialized in social and educational problems involving children, adults, youth and families.
- To optimize the vocational training of educators and the intervention methods.
- To enable the procedural and critical analysis within research and promote innovation on contexts of social education, among other objectives
Mode of StudyThese Master’s degree sessions will be on Fridays afternoon and Saturdays
Teaching / Evaluation language(s)Portuguese Language
Learning Objectives and Intended SkillsThis SC provides a degree in MSELDD and allows its students, the acquisition of a broad range of skills, including the following:
To design, implement, evaluate and manage programs and intervention and socioeducational mediation strategies with children, youth and families in various fields using specific skills, including:
- To apply identification techniques of exclusion and discrimination factors that hinder the social inclusion of individuals and groups;
- To use specific techniques of socio-educational and community intervention (preventive, helping, therapeutic, of resolution and conflict mediation, techniques oriented for working with the social curriculum);
- To integrate available social, institutional, personal and material resources to carry out the work in a specific field of action;
- To produce and manage assets and resources for socio-educational intervention;
- To assist and collaborate in the development of socio-educational programs in the media and information and communication networks (Internet, radio, television, press, etc.);
- To use and evaluate training sessions using new technologies;
- To show an empathetic and respectful attitude, based on solidarity and trust towards individuals and social education institutions;
- To develop an attitude and language proficiency that fosters work in multicultural and multilinguistic environments;
- To be able to work in multidisciplinary teams.
Maria Filomena Ribeiro Fonseca Gaspar
ECTS Departmental Coordinator(s)
Teresa Manuela Marques Santos Dias Rebelo
Teresa Maria Vidal Urbano
Recognition of Prior LearningThe Crediting of Previous Training and Work Experience is done pursuant to the provisions of Regulation No. 191/2014 of 15th May.
Qualification Requirements and RegulationsDecree-Law n. 42/2005, February 22nd – approves the tool regulating principles for the creation of the European higher education area; Order 782/2009, July 23rd.
In accordance with article 20, paragraph 1, a) and b) of Decree Law 74/2006 of 24th March in its current wording, to obtain a Master’s degree in Social Education, Local Development and Dynamics it is necessary the registration and approval in all curricular units of the Specialization Course and the preparation and oral public defense of an original scientific Dissertation prepared for this purpose, or a professional Internship followed by a Final Report.
The attendance with success in all curricular units, of the 1st year of the master’s course allows students to obtain a certificate of post-graduate studies in Social Education, Local Development and Dynamics.
Access to Further StudiesIn accordance with paragraph 1 of article 30 of Decree-Law n.74/2006, March 24th, (as amended by Decree-Law n. 107/2008, June 25th and by Decree-Law n. 230/2009, September 14th and rectified by Corrigendum n. 81/2009, October 27th, amended and republished by Decree-Law n. 115/2013, August 7th), completion of this 2nd cycle os studies enables its holders to apply for a 3rd cycle.
2nd Cycle Studies - Lifelong Learning Master Programme
DGES Code: 6656
Qualification Awarded: Mestre
Duration: 2 Year(s)
ECTS Credits: 120.0
Category: Lifelong training second cycle
Call for Applications (only in portuguese)
- 1st Semester
Start date: 12-09-2016
End date: 22-12-2016
- 2nd Semester
Start date: 06-02-2017
End date: 31-05-2017
- 2016-06-27 a 2022-06-26
- 2016-07-25 a 2019-07-25